Tecumseh 5 hp carb queston

mckeemm

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi,

I have a 1971 5 hp Sears/ESKA with the Tecumseh power head. I'm just getting it going after sitting for a long time so I pulled the carb for cleaning. There is a small rubber element that is placed in the inlet passage from the carb flange side and has it's hollow center over a port in the reed plate to allow crancase pressure to pulse in this element. I've seen this part refered to as a check valve.

My question is this: Is there any peticular orientation to this element when installing or can it be stuck in the hole at any degree of rotation? It is sort of blade shaped and I'm wondering if the flat side should be covering the inlet port.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Tecumseh 5 hp carb queston

That's the fuel pump element, and it works in conjunction with the little flapper valve gasket under the fuel inlet flange. If you have an internal tank, it doesn't do much, but must still be in place and intact. Check it by blowing on the open end. If it holds pressure, it's OK.

Install it with the slot at 10 and 4 o'clock.

mckeemm

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Tecumseh 5 hp carb queston

Thanks CATransplant,

I have the internal tank and don't intend to use an external tank but thought it should be in good shape and installed correctly anyway. I plan on getting this thing going and passing it along as a cheap outboard for the budget minded. It's a garage sale special so if I can make a few bucks I'll put the cash toward restoring some of my other outboards.

Mark