Teaser Picture

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hey,<br /><br />I just took a couple pictures of my boat for a question I had about its attitude in the water. I thought I'd snap one more as a teaser for here. The boat's a little dirty from our camping trip and haven't had time to clean it out or make a necessary repair yet, but when that happens I'll snap some more. This picture shows the power tilt and trim from a '76 Johnson that I fitted to my 1972 Johnson (was told it couldn't be done). It also shows the transom work I did (extra 1 1/2" taller in the center section, and raised on either side). You can clearly see where the old transom was by the old glass. If you also imagine the splashwell being a single piece across the boat, angled up from that point to about 2" below the top of the gunwhales, as well as 2" back from the new deck I built, you'll see the extra work I did. That rear deck was all constructed and re-enforced using 2x4's and 2x2's with 3/8" sheeting right infront of the new splashwell (going to put a removable pedistal there) and 1/4" sheeting along the front and sides. On the nearest side is the battery compartment with a flush lid, and on the far side is a storage bin the length of the deck with the same style lid.<br /><br />I don't like how the lids turned out so I'll be re-doing those. Sorry I don't have any in progress pictures but the final result (which is still to come), will say enough. The floor was all re-done, stringers re-done (with extras added for more structure), 19 gallon permanent tank up front (still going to cut open the bow and put a casting platform/trolling motor controls up there), transom replaced, and the rear section completely modified. All of this and if you look below the outside chine where the white tape is, is where the waterline is when it's sitting in the water (toooo bouyant I think now).<br /><br />This winter if all goes well, the open bow will be completely as well as a complete cosmetic overhaul.<br /><br /> The Teaser<br /><br /> Picture showing the waterline when the boat is sitting <br /><br />ps. one last thing, if anyone knows ANYTHING about this boat I have (made by international fiberglass inc.) please let me know :)

tr918

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Teaser Picture

Nice work on the transom. I would look into getting your skeg on that Johnson repaired this winter also....Just my $.02.<br /><br />Good luck with the project.

SuzukiChopper

Yeah, was going to fabricate one and weld it on. Have to try and fix the reverse anyways so it'll be mostly gutted then... perfect time. The nice thing about around here is there are two lakes I goto (connected), both I know REALLY well, and neither have any rocks or submerged objects to worry about, all sand and mud, so the broken skeg doesn't bother me toooo much.<br /><br />And thank you, the transom was actually something that came about as I was tearing the boat apart, thought I would check it and glad I did.

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

What modifications had to be done for the T&T?

SuzukiChopper

For the tilt and trim to even have a chance I had to get the tilt and trim unit, transom mounts and mid-section. From there:<br /><br />- Steering tube from the '76 unit was swapped to the steering tube for my motor (to use the original motor mounts). To do this I just bought a 4' length of solid round nylon stock ($10) and machined two nylon bushings myself to take up the slack. The '72 steering tube was smaller in diameter.<br />- The very lower portion of the mid-section came down the sides to the full length and then flat at the bottom. The original tapered about 6" up from the bottom so that part of the mid-section could slide into the lower motor mount. So I milled away material and then ground it down so that it fit into the lower mount and let the steering tube stick through the right amount to get the holding nut in place. This was probably the most time consuming part.<br />- There were two mounting points on the mid-section of the motor where a strap mounted to originally (just went around the mid-section of the T&T unit). These interfered with the new mid-section on the T&T so I had to grind them flat.<br /><br />And that was it. Motor mounted up and the unit works great! I know you could buy an aftermarket T&T for the motor ($800cdn), or try and find the TILT only unit for the motor. I spent $10 in material and about $100cdn on the T&T unit (ebay) and have the tilt I wanted plus trim now as well. All the while I was told it couldn't be done, no way it would work, yada yada yada.<br /><br />I guess I also had to spend $40 on the transom saver because the trailer lock for the T&T (even after some crude modifications), just scared me. That and I didn't want my new transom to be put under a bunch of stress from driving on our crappy roads.