Tear motor down or try a new headgasket?

Willyclay

Captain
In the absence of any other posts in response to your question, I vote to hone cylinder #1 and evaluate it. Clearly one piston must be replaced but that decision can wait until you see how the cylinder looks after honing since four over-sized pistons will be needed if all cylinders are bored-out. Good luck!

Last edited:

sutor623

Rear Admiral
In the absence of any other posts in response to your question, I vote to hone cylinder #1 and evaluate it. Clearly one piston must be replaced but that decision can wait until you see how the cylinder looks after honing since four over-sized pistons will be needed if all cylinders are bored-out. Good luck!

Thanks Willy. Didnt seem like many people were interested in this topic so I ended up getting a remanufactured powerhead. I will likely, at my own pace, rebuild this powerhead. But I dont want it to fail after a full teardown, so I would let the machine shop bore all cylinders to keep them square, mill the deck and heads, and balance the crank and rods (if necessary). All that work, plus a full rebuild kit (bearings, wrist pins, pistons, rings, gaskets) and we are getting into the $1500-2000 range. I got a re-man (all internals replaced, as well as boost ports and check valves, with powerhead gasket kit and repaint) with a 1 year warranty for $2600 from Hinkle Marine. I just want to get back on the water, and do not want to see this motor fail again any time soon.

All the metal flakes in the intake/exhaust ports, the mis-casting, and all the trouble this block has given me makes me paranoid to re-install it.

Willyclay

Captain
Understand your concerns about the original motor and the need for reliability on the water. Hope all goes as planned!

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Understand your concerns about the original motor and the need for reliability on the water. Hope all goes as planned!

Thanks partner. After changing out the entire electrical system, rebuilding the entire fuel system twice, sync and link and setting timing to a T, and STILL having issues, all with good compression mind you, it just makes you want to SCREAM!!!!!!!!!!!! And then to have crank sealing rings that are not pulverized to point my finger at,as some have suggested, makes me truly wonder where the issue lies inside the powerhead.