Teak swim platform for the Bayliner 1950 Capri

megamark

Cadet
Old motor out New motor inhttp:// URL=http://s58.photobucket.com/user/megamarkp/media/IMG_0500_zpsbg4l0rst.jpg.html]
IMG_0500_zpsbg4l0rst.jpg
[/URL]

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Real nice upgrade,.. Were you able to use the same gimbal housing and outdrive?.. I think the 5.0 came with higher ratio than the 3.0 ?

megamark

Cadet
Yes, reused almost everything, rebuilt upper drive with new gears and bearings, changed out 1.98:1 for 1.5:1, little tricky doing the shimming, after 100 hours did inspection with perfect results, resealed bottom half. The engine I got as a complete bobtail with y pipe, added the power steering ram.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Nice work,... I have yet to jump into the gears of an outdive,.. When I hear the word "shim"... I shake in my boots.

megamark

Cadet
[FONT=&quot]Requires special tooling and loads of patients, if you?re a it?s good enough kind a guy then you what to leave this job for the pros. I put in a hole day before I was ready to button it up.[/FONT]

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking good 😊. That teak looks great when it's all cleaned up but boy is it extra clean up work come spring time. I ditched all my teak for poly board just for ease of cleaning plus sitting in the water for 6 months my swim platform gets nasty so it sure is nice to just pressure wash it and be done. you did a good job on that it's looks like it was from the factory! Good luck and good job!

megamark

Cadet
Agree teak can be real high maintenance, but on this old girl that lives in a climate controlled garage and only gets out to run daily trips on the lake, should only need to get oiled as frequently as my teak coffee table. LOL

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Yikes! That's a tight fit! How do you servive the motorwith no clearance? Pull it?

Previous pics show that the complete engine surround and rear jump seats are easily removable... But she is a right squeeze,. I wonder if the SBC was a factory option and if it was, was the dog house bigger ?

megamark

Cadet
Lower doghouse has two quick release latches and removes completely out off way. There is full access to all fluid ports with removal of top half. Agree tight clearances all around, It?s all new custom build with no wasted space, tiny boat. Ahttp:// http://

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Nice build! looks like you replaced/glassed in new floor as well,... any stringer repair needed ? Is that power trim pump/res sitting up there temporary,.. or is that its permanent home ?

megamark

Cadet
Floor and bulkhead pieces all replaced, underside can now drain in bilge, air vents in and moisture out, also some wet/saturated foam replaced. Fuel tank relocated 4? forward, tank pressure test and polished inside out, transom and stringers all solid but reinforced at motor mounts, tilt pump original location.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
You should show Bayliner how to build em'! :thumb::thumb:

R055

Chief Petty Officer
I hope you installed an oil drain hose through the drain plug before seating the engine, or do you suck the oil through the oil level hole?

megamark

Cadet
Oil pan drain hose is attached to transom drain plug, no losing plug and no mess in bilge.

Top speed with two in boat is 60 MPH with 21? pitch, 55 MPH four in boat 19?used mostly for wakeboarding, 48 MPH four in boat 17? used for barefooting giving a 0-20 MPH in under 3 seconds. All props are 3 blade SS Vengeance by Quicksilver.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Very, very nice work Sir. Congrats. The problem we have had is the specific Merc tools required for the outdrives. The mechanical Guru we have in our crew built home made Merc tools like the Gimbal puller. You have a beauty there and should be very proud. And welcome aboard Captain.