tcw 3 to diesel

ralphl

Petty Officer 1st Class
someone suggested adding a pint of tcw 3 to the tank in my diesel truck for better mileage and performance. Anyone do this?????

JRJ

Commander
Re: tcw 3 to diesel

My theory is, if it was such a good idea, Cummins, Cat, Ford and GM would sell tcw3 with their names on it.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

The idea of adding a 2 stroke oil to your diesel is for lubrication to the O-rings now that diesel is sulfer free and does not have much of a lubrication function anymore. (very dry fuel)

What you may want to try is the stanadyne's performance additive, this does work I have found, not only because of the lubrication factor for the injector pumps O-rings but because it has "cetane", which is basically a octane boost for diesel.

D

DJ

Use the makers (OEM) fuel additive.

IMHO, Motorcraft has the best product, on the market, to fight poor fuel quality (an industry problem). It is known as ""best in class".

If the people that are PAYING YOUR WARRANTY BILL find TCW-3 in your tank (or any other crap), that COST will go DIRECTLY to you-JUSTIFIED.

AVOID alcohol based additives at ALL COST. Read the label.

You want to get your cetane rating to 45+.

The Motorcraft product will do that and NOT affect any warranty issues. However-again-I recommend your vehicles OEM product for cetane boost and anti gel.

ralphl

Petty Officer 1st Class

What make, model, and year truck?
It's a 97 ford 7.3 1 ton dually with a full Banks upgrade. Carries a camper and pulls the boat. Gets about 12mpg loaded with plenty of power but at 4plus a gallon and rising I was wondering if that would help mileage??

j_martin

Admiral

It's a 97 ford 7.3 1 ton dually with a full Banks upgrade. Carries a camper and pulls the boat. Gets about 12mpg loaded with plenty of power but at 4plus a gallon and rising I was wondering if that would help mileage??

The main thing that's often overlooked that affects mileage is injector service when it's due.

D

DJ

You will be surprised at how much the Mortorcraft Cetane Boost wakes up a 7.3.

ralphl

Petty Officer 1st Class

who carries motorcraft, couldnt find it at NAPA

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Motorcraft
It is a ford part only, you gotta go to the ford store, most likely.
(ford diesel conditioner are made to ford spects, but if you find out who makes it buy their product and save $$$$)

D

DJ

It's a Ford part. Available at dealers. Pretty cheap consoidering what it does and what it can save in fuel costs and repairs.

That is one of about FIVE additives that Ford has put their name on in over 100 years. That might tell you something.:)

NAPA will put it's name on anything that you might buy.;)

Ya get whatcha pay for.