Tarp it, Build a Shed, or Shrink wrap it?

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just had my boat winterized. Plan to park in my backyard. I'm in North Ontario, it will be parked untl May/'10. I have a 20x40 tarp I used to use on my old boat...

I don't like shrink wrapping, why wrap it, then rip it off and throw it out in the spring? Seems wasteful, and expensive..

I was debating buying one of those port-a-garage kits for $300 and parkign the boat in that....

Or using some 2x3's and screws and building a similar tarp, and maybe throw some plywood on for a roof.

Or do the simple "build a wooden frame in my boat" and throw the tap on, and pull it tight.

Is there any real advantage to any of these? Lookign for input on this?? Obviously the simplest is to tarp it with the frame inside - just wonder if the garage or homemade shed will offer added protection, or just a waste of my time and money

Knightgang

Lieutenant
Re: Tarp it, Build a Shed, or Shrink wrap it?

If you want to be able to park it under a shed throughout the year to keep the rain and sun out of it when not in use, then by all means put one of those up and you will have it year around, alot easier than covering it after each trip. However, even with the shed, I think I would cover it as well during the winter.

If you do not build the shed, then I would build the frame in the boat and tarp it good to keep the snow and elemments out during the winter...

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I agree with the wood shed style, those PVC pipes they use for the canuck tire portables will not hold up to a good snow lode.
Our house and shop have a 8/12 pitch roof due to lots of snow here.
so if you want it to self clean the steaper the better.
ever thought of going A frame?
basic, cheap, no snow load issues:)
rob

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class

Unfortunately it wouldn't be practical to park it in it in summer too, as I gotta back it through a 10 foot wide gate section, then gently around the patio in between 2 trees... in sumemr I leave it in the driveway for quick hitching.

I know A frame style, but how is that done on the boat? longer boards like 10-12 feet, from the ground up to central point above boat? or just built the frame high on the boat and tarp arund to trailer?

yeah I was thinking maybe the small frame and tarp on the boat.... then a quickie shed over top as double protection - but if it's overkill, just a waste of my time...

I didn't know those kits at Canadian tire had PVC piping, I thought it was aluminum or something... thanks for pointing it out

WIMUSKY

Staff member

By all means, build a shed. Keeps the weather off, no more shoveling snow from a tarp to keep the weight off or snow melting and refreezing creating ice on your tarp. I found 2 different sheds at 2 residences that are letting me store my boats. I'm a happy camper(or boater)!! My boats are happy too.......

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I would build a simple A frame, adjusting the leg height of it to in the bow and the stern to be able to clear the windshield and keep your ridge beam level, then tarp over it, around the boat and attach to the trailer. Simple, easy and you can disassemble in the spring and store it until next year...

Marcq

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got this one at Canadian Tire on special $300 two years ago and I love it, I keep it up all year but in the summer time I remove the back and front because it can get really hot in there, was able to work on my boat in March, April when there was still snow out :)
Just like a garage :) and very roomy
kiwi.jpg

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...rlogic+Peak+Style+Garage-in-a-Box.jsp#reviews

Marc..

Jeep Man

Commander

I keep my boat in Muskoka and last year it was subjected to 17 ft. of snow, but no more than 4 ft. accumulated at any given time. I tarped it after making a frame out of 1 1/2" PVC drain pipe. I glued some joints and screwed together others to allow for partial disassembly in the spring. The trick is to make it high enough, creating a good slope, and attach it to the rails or gunwales. This way any snow will continue to slide off. I have a pontoon boat. Last season I had a different one and the frame attached to the deck and rail, outside the fence. The new one doesn't allow for this so I am modifying it to attach to the rail using a PVC "T" fitting cut open at the bottom to allow it to cup the railing. The same would work for your boat.
The downside of the portable garage is that you have to be around to clear off the snow as it accumulates. They are not designed for the load. In my case, that was not an option.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Sheds and other storage structures are nice, and I wish I had a garage just for the boats, but the economy being what it is, I have to settle for tarps. Plus the Capri with the hard top won't fit in a traditional garage or even those portable garages.

If you use a tarp, the best prices on tarps I found is at Harbor Freight for the silver 11 mil tarps. I've been getting about 2 to 3 years out of a $37 tarp.

Build a 2" pvc or 2x4 A frame to rest on the boat and pull the tarp over and bungi cord to the trailer frame. The higher you make the frame, the easier it is for snow and ice to just slide off and not build up. Plus, its easy to undo the transom end of the tarp and climb inside if you want to inspect or get stuff.

This is a pic of the MFG runabout in front with a PVC frame standing inside (it should be higher), and the Capri with hard top behind. The Capri has a small frame in the front to help keep snow from building up on the bow. Even with such a high boat like the Bayliner, I can pull a 19 x24 tarp over it by myself using a 2x2 x 8 to help get it over the high spots I can't reach. Piece of cake. Takes me less than 10 minutes to pull the tarp on and attach all the bungies.

8504.jpg

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Dealing with the same issue -- potentially brutal northern Ontario outside winter storage. I like the permanent strucuture idea but of course that costs...

Building a steep A-frame of some kind sounds good for shedding snow. It's the ability to resists strong winds I'd also worry about. I want to decide something for next winter because storage costs just keep going up.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Dealing with the same issue -- potentially brutal northern Ontario outside winter storage. I like the permanent strucuture idea but of course that costs...

Building a steep A-frame of some kind sounds good for shedding snow. It's the ability to resists strong winds I'd also worry about. I want to decide something for next winter because storage costs just keep going up.

I can tell you that when there is a frame standing in the boat and the tarp is fastened down with bungies to the trailer frame, the cover is very tight. So tight that high winds have never budged it. All you need is the frame to be about 2 feet higher than the highest point on the boat and that should be steep enough.

The first frame in the smaller MFG was made from 1x4, and it was about a foot or so higher than the windsheild and it worked great. Then I made one from PVC to be easier to disassemble, and I made it shorter. It does not work as well as the higher frame did.

Not sure how bad the wind gets by you, but I have not had any problems in the n.w of NJ.

Bifflefan

Commander

I also have the same as Marc. I put the lawn mover and what ever else i have it there to make room in the garage for the NON winter car.
I just go out and know the snow off it every so often and have never had a problem with it.
They must be a lot more up in Canada, as the one i have is an 8 pole with the sides was 179.00 US last year.

lucky7

Petty Officer 1st Class

i bought a 700 dollar portable garage temp building 24' long "tent" that i keep my boat in all the time. its not the wood garage i would prefer, but its much better than a mooring cover.

Moody Blue

Captain

I think that building a structure is somewhat overkill for the intent. With a $40 tarp, some creative thought, some lumber or PVC pipe (or EMT conduit) and a handfull of bungee cords you will come up with a suitable winter cover. Snow load will be a bigger concern than wind. As long as the wind can't get "under the tarp" it won't be a problem.

Do a Google search for Navigloo. Its been in the papers around here for a couple months now. Too expensive for me ($400 ish) but may be the ticket for you. Its an off the shelf winter boat cover system.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Here is what my Son and I did a few years ago with my bass boat .... we made a frame from PVC and used the pedestal holes for the uprights...... we bent the PVC down near the bow and then I double tarped it. I like in a significant snow area and the boat survived a few winter's this way w/o problem.

DSCN0093.jpg

IMG_5278.jpg

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would build a simple A frame, adjusting the leg height of it to in the bow and the stern to be able to clear the windshield and keep your ridge beam level, then tarp over it, around the boat and attach to the trailer. Simple, easy and you can disassemble in the spring and store it until next year...

Good idea,cheap reuseable and can always be used as fire wood if it don't work.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Lots of good ideas here guys (and using your seat post bases for cover uprights is sheer brilliance, Bob :D). I'm going to check out that igloo thing too.

My issue is the boat will be sitting beside a cabin at the end of several miles of snowed-in road for the worst part of the winter. It will also be subject to off-lake winds that can get pretty gusty. Short of hauling a sled 300 km north and riding in for a look-see, there will be no one around to brush snow off or check/tighten tie-downs. Whatever the solution, it's got to be bulletproof as it were.

Jeep Man

Commander

I think that building a structure is somewhat overkill for the intent. With a $40 tarp, some creative thought, some lumber or PVC pipe (or EMT conduit) and a handfull of bungee cords you will come up with a suitable winter cover. Snow load will be a bigger concern than wind. As long as the wind can't get "under the tarp" it won't be a problem.

Do a Google search for Navigloo. Its been in the papers around here for a couple months now. Too expensive for me ($400 ish) but may be the ticket for you. Its an off the shelf winter boat cover system.

Admittedly, I saw a navigloo at a local hardware store and designed my cover from there. I thought the price was too high. My materials including tarp and rope was under $150 and should be good for a few years. At that point, all I'll need is a new tarp.

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

I suggest putting plywood under the tarp on the roof of your frame. This prevents the tarp from sagging and holding the snow. I use 2x4 spruce for the frame (cheaper and stronger than pvc pipe). The frame does not have to be elaborate.

I don't recommend the the portable garage tents, if you are not able to clear the snow from the roof every time it snows. The tarp roof sags and holds the snow. I had one collapse under about 18" of snow.

Jeep Man

Commander

Lots of good ideas here guys (and using your seat post bases for cover uprights is sheer brilliance, Bob :D). I'm going to check out that igloo thing too.

My issue is the boat will be sitting beside a cabin at the end of several miles of snowed-in road for the worst part of the winter. It will also be subject to off-lake winds that can get pretty gusty. Short of hauling a sled 300 km north and riding in for a look-see, there will be no one around to brush snow off or check/tighten tie-downs. Whatever the solution, it's got to be bulletproof as it were.

As a note of caution, do NOT put it beside your cabin. Don't position it anywhere that a snow load from something else can fall on your boat. This includes large trees.