Tarp and Heater Question

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer
So over Christmas I was given some gift cards for Home Cheapo so I can proceed with my customization project. Going to be re-doing the stern of the boat and opening up the bow to make my boat more fishing friendly (http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=283138). I have the boat back in the city and in my garage but unfortunately it's not insulated. I do have a propane heater that is rated to heat up 950sqft though. Doesn't do so well just sitting in the garage so I'm thinking of creating a tarp house for my boat that I can heat up with the heater so it's comfortable to work in and will allow my to do the glassing that will need to be done.

I have two questions about doing this. Will the standard "blue tarp" be enough to create a heat zone and are the propane fumes heavier then air? I Should have enough tarp that I can create a structure over my work area but I want to make sure I'm ventilated enough. If the fumes sink I would leave a gap at the bottom of my enclosure. Anyone have any pictures of a tarp town or advice on how to go about this?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Tarp and Heater Question

Propane is heavier than air.... ONLY UN-BURNED is heavier than air. The concerns I would have would be..... running out of O2 and the build up of carbon monixide. Ventalation is very important.

One layer of blue tarp will help....... along the cieling to prevent heat loss...... cheap insulation would be better in the long run....... you might create condensation issues.

I have heated up a 2 bay garage with a kerosun kerosene heater but the kero puts oil droplets into the air and IS NOT good for painting..... will cause fisheyes.

Working with fiberglass you really want to be careful with open flames..... just one ignition and you, the tarps and the boat could be very short lived.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...

I would think just plain ole sheet plastic, Poly, stapled to the roof joists would seal off the rafts...
Do the Same to the walls, where you can... Maybe a Curtain over the door...
We sometimes partition off Wharehouses that way...

Like Bob says,...
You want to tighten up the building envolope alittle bit, rather than Sealing your work area in a Tent...

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We sometimes partition off Wharehouses that way...

This is a better description of what I was thinking of doing. Partition off my boat from the rest of the garage. Wood cutting and little non-glassing things I have zero problems doing outside of the boat and in the cold, I stay pretty warm, just wanting to have an area that is the right temp for curing resin and a comfortable area for framing and sitting and thinking if I have to.

I guess if the biggest thing I need to worry about is ventilation, then having seams at the top and along that sides that aren't sealed will be the best plan of attack. The little bit of heat loss that comes from that will most likely be better then no heat at all.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just be safe. Maybe keep a co2 alarm in your work area just in case.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Clear poly sheeting works well, it won't block the light and you can cut it to any shape you want. For heat I always try to use lights instead of heaters, the halogen work lights work very well and they produce a lot of heat, I just move them to where I'm working, just don't get them too close to anything. If I need more heat I'll use an oil filled electric radiant heater. I don't like using any combustion type heater in any part of the house, it's just not that safe.

oldsub86

Petty Officer 1st Class

Personally, I don't think poly or tarp is going to be sufficient in Regina SK in January. Along about April that might work but these days, you are going to need insulation of some sort along with the poly in order to retain the heat. I have the same problem with my garage. If I tried to heat it, about all I would accomplish is to melt the snow off of the roof.

I'd say, at a minimum, insulate the ceiling and walls and then put poly over them. Then maybe a layer of OSB if you are not into drywall. Then, heat with an electric heater to avoid the issues that combustion heaters create.

I'd also be concerned that the gas heater would create moisture that would condense and drip on you from the inside of the plastic tent. Let it cool off and it will freeze and then melt and drip on you the next time that you warm the place up.

One of the disadvantages of living in the great white north. Unless you are fortunate enough to have access to a nice big heated shop somewhere, you are pretty limited in what you can do until the weather warms up some.

Randy in Winnipeg, waiting for spring too