Taking on water and I know where. Proper vs Inproper Fix?

AshleysRevenge

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Mercuirser i/o 5/7l Serial M12039V8 Casting 10066036 Alpha 1

The boat had been out 3 times prior to this and we did not have water coming on board. Bilge pump rarely came on.

This last time we were out we hit someone's bad wake. We continued on but the next time we stopped and drifted to fish we noticed the bilge pump coming on, to the point where I actually timed it to every 5m30s. Later the bilge pump jammed, buy the time we noticed water was past the beam on it's way to the starter. All while the sun was already down. We made it home. The next day we dropped the boat at the pier just to get an idea where all of a sudden this water was coming from.

Leak on the inside. You can see the water running if you look closely.
Port1.jpg Starboard1.jpg

Gap between transom and housing.

Top.jpg Mid STBD.jpg Low STBD.jpg

When water is applied to this gap from a hose water comes out of the boats drain plug.

So far it has been suggested to us to try to fill the gap with 5300 and see how it goes. I don't really like that answer. It might get us out on the water one more time this year but that might not be worth it. Hate to sink the boat from impatience.

Thanks in advance for your time.

David

ewpvic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Taking on water and I know where. Proper vs Inproper Fix?

Ah ha! There is the leak. I have used 5200 Fast Cure on a through hull toe rail drain that was leaking like a sieve into the cabin. That was 1.5 years ago and it is still not leaking. Be aware: It's flexible stuff (a good thing) but it is also QUITE the adhesive. So, if you are planning to remove that housing to replace or repair, the 5200 is going to put up a fight (another good thing).

Good luck! Maybe a few others will ease your mind or have a better product.

britisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

The leak is on the outside. it's just that the water is visible on the inside. When I did my refurb last year, we noticed the transom unit had sealer all round the edge on the outside. When we removed the transom unit to dismantle and rebuild, it was clear that the rubber seal that sits inside the transom unit was shot. If you get the unit off, a new rubber seal is not that expensive.

haulnazz15

Captain

Well, technically the "proper" repair is to remove the engine/outdrive/gimbal housing and install a new seal. However, 4200/5200 might be able to cure the leak for a year or two. The real question/concern is: why did the leak occur because of a large wave? Likely answer: the transom is rotten in some part, and has allowed a gap to develop and let water in. I would be checking out the transom before I started any serious work on it.

britisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, technically the "proper" repair is to remove the engine/outdrive/gimbal housing and install a new seal. However, 4200/5200 might be able to cure the leak for a year or two. The real question/concern is: why did the leak occur because of a large wave? Likely answer: the transom is rotten in some part, and has allowed a gap to develop and let water in. I would be checking out the transom before I started any serious work on it.

I'd agree on that. When we checked out my transom it was really rotten and so was every other piece of wood on the boat. I had to do a full refurb. But as far as the transom is concerned, I would hazard a guess and say the transom wood is compromised by the leaking seal. Putting on a sealant is a sticking plaster exercise at best.

alldodge

Staff member

Proper pull ther engine and fix transom, improper use 5200. All depends on how long you plan to keep the boat.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

....All depends on how long you plan to keep the boat.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's the answer right there along with what you might/can/want to do yourself vs. what you are going to have to pay someone else to fix the rotten wood/fiberglass then the mechanical components.

DIY and you really like the boat and can/want to sink some $$$ into fixing it to then keep it for several more years, that's the answer.

But if you're at all like me where I have to pay to store the boat at a facility, would not be able to do any work on it there nor keep it in front of my hours for more than a few hours, nor have the abilities to fix a rotting hull/stringers, seal it the best you can, add another bilge pump along with manual backup and use it until it's time to get rid of it.

Be safe though if you do decide not to fix it yet.

Mark

Bondo

Staff member

Mercuirser i/o 5/7l Serial M12039V8 Casting 10066036 Alpha 1

The boat had been out 3 times prior to this and we did not have water coming on board. Bilge pump rarely came on.

This last time we were out we hit someone's bad wake. We continued on but the next time we stopped and drifted to fish we noticed the bilge pump coming on, to the point where I actually timed it to every 5m30s. Later the bilge pump jammed, buy the time we noticed water was past the beam on it's way to the starter. All while the sun was already down. We made it home. The next day we dropped the boat at the pier just to get an idea where all of a sudden this water was coming from.

Leak on the inside. You can see the water running if you look closely.
View attachment 212887 View attachment 212888

Gap between transom and housing.

View attachment 212889 View attachment 212890 View attachment 212891

When water is applied to this gap from a hose water comes out of the boats drain plug.

So far it has been suggested to us to try to fill the gap with 5300 and see how it goes. I don't really like that answer. It might get us out on the water one more time this year but that might not be worth it. Hate to sink the boat from impatience.

Thanks in advance for your time.

David

Ayuh,..... Unfortunately Dave, you've got a Rotten transom,....

No amount of glue is gonna Fix it,...

Them bolts don't just loosen,...

Even if ya stop the water, the movements will rip out the coupler, or more,...

Ya gotta Replace the plywood transom, then bolt it back together, with a new seal,...

Head on down to the drydock, the Restoration forum, 'n have a look 'round,...
Yer not the 1st guy to have this happen,...

Good Luck,...

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer

No point in trying to seal it without doing a transom rebuild. If you wish to continue using the boat without fixing the transom, buy more bilge pumps, not sealant.