Tad bit windy today ...

aspeck

Staff member
Had about 6 inches of heavy, wet snow yesterday followed by warmer temperatures, rain, and some minor flooding. Then into the night the wind picked up and got crazy today. Fire Department had a lot of calls for trees and wires down. I have/had a 12x16 foot gazebo behind the house that was supposed to withstand 80mph winds ... 1/4 of the roof is now missing. Guess I have to do some redesigning of the roof structure ... Wind is starting to calm down a little now ...

How did you make out @dwco5051? or should I say, Santiago?

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Yeah, that major front moved through here yesterday and we have several roof shingles missing today. Fortunately, I know how to deal with that. We're fortunate because south and east of here there were tornadoes.

harringtondav

Commander
My Iowa storm tale:
Big spinal surgery today, Jan 10, in Iowa City University Hospital. Plan was to travel down yesterday and take a hotel for the 5:30 am check in.
Forecast sent us down late Monday to beat the 15" snowfall. ...first time in a looong time wife and I spent a day alone in a hotel room. ...unremarkable at our age.
Surgeon doc's phone call wakes me up today at 1:00 am. He just finished an emergency surgery on a paralyzed kid who broke his neck snowboarding in his back yard, and laid for 2 hrs face down in the snow before he was found.
Doc said he was out of juice for my 9 hr procedure.
Frustrating since I've been waiting 10.5 months for relief. But the kid deserves the nod. ...we have kids, and I can still walk.

dwco5051

Commander
Had about 6 inches of heavy, wet snow yesterday followed by warmer temperatures, rain, and some minor flooding. Then into the night the wind picked up and got crazy today. Fire Department had a lot of calls for trees and wires down. I have/had a 12x16 foot gazebo behind the house that was supposed to withstand 80mph winds ... 1/4 of the roof is now missing. Guess I have to do some redesigning of the roof structure ... Wind is starting to calm down a little now ...

How did you make out @dwco5051? or should I say, Santiago?
Muchas ramas pequeƱas se extienden por la propiedad. No hay Ɣrboles caƭdos que pueda ver desde la casa.

aspeck

Staff member
Glad you didn't have any downed trees, Santiago.

I just got back from ordering the roofing materials for the Gazebo ... It will cost me about $700 to repair and improve the design so the roof doesn't blow off like that again ...

dwco5051

Commander
Glad you didn't have any downed trees, Santiago.

I just got back from ordering the roofing materials for the Gazebo ... It will cost me about $700 to repair and improve the design so the roof doesn't blow off like that again ...
What kind of roof? Materials?

aspeck

Staff member
A standing seem metal roof will go on furring strips overtop the plexi-glass that is/was framed in for the roof. It will be better for snow load and for wind when we are finished.

flashback

Captain
I'm looking at a low of 6 degrees next Tuesday night with strong winds. Maybe time to help the heat pump out with the fireplace..the old Jetstream is working just fine and as I write this it's 55 on the back deck.:)

harringtondav

Commander
I'm looking at a low of 6 degrees next Tuesday night with strong winds. Maybe time to help the heat pump out with the fireplace..the old Jetstream is working just fine and as I write this it's 55 on the back deck.:)
Off topic a bit here.
We installed a heat pump at our river house. Works great down to the 24 degree balance point where it can't keep up w/o the electric heat coil kicking on.
But when the temp gets in the low 30's, I switch to back up electric heat only. Else the unit spends as much time in coil defrost mode as it does actually heating. I'm worried about the wear and tear on the reversing valve which seems to be constantly switching between heat and cool to defrost the condenser coil.

flashback

Captain
Off topic a bit here.
We installed a heat pump at our river house. Works great down to the 24 degree balance point where it can't keep up w/o the electric heat coil kicking on.
But when the temp gets in the low 30's, I switch to back up electric heat only. Else the unit spends as much time in coil defrost mode as it does actually heating. I'm worried about the wear and tear on the reversing valve which seems to be constantly switching between heat and cool to defrost the condenser coil.
Yep my machine is 20 years old and I've been with it about 15. It's always done a good job and I figure I'll replace it soon, maybe sooner than later.i had a tech tell me to run it until it quits so I'll turn the thermostat down and get some firewood..:)

WIMUSKY

Staff member
We have a blizzard warning. The whole state is part of it now... Totals have been all over the board.... Isn't there a round 2 out there, snow or rain Speck?
20240111_172122.jpg

aspeck

Staff member
Yep, Round 2 is coming, and then round 3.

Round 2 for us will produce mostly rain ... 2-4 inches of snow before turning to rain possible. Then the high winds again. Wind Advisory for Saturday. The wind will bring in the cold. Not as cold as some of you up north, but lows 0 to single digits with highs in the teens with a day or 2 at single digit highs. Also the possibility of another round of snow. Bring on the snow! It's winter and it should be cold and white!

harringtondav

Commander
Bring on the snow! It's winter and it should be cold and white!
Our river place is on the upper Mississippi by Dubuque IA.
The last 4-5 yrs the river level has been close to 2' below normal through the summer. Many boat ramps and private docks were close to useless.
So I don't mind the snow. It will hopefully raise the water back to normal.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Our forecast changes daily with totals, going up for us... They keep moving the lake effect further south...
20240112_094154.jpg

southkogs

Staff member
We've been raining for almost five days, and they're calling for snow on Monday. That's a decent mixture for an ice over for Middle Tennessee.

aspeck

Staff member
Local school kids were sent home with their ipads so Tuesday, (round 3) could be a virtual learning day if necessary. Cold and snow are in the forecast for Tuesday ... after tonight's rain and tomorrows high winds and rapidly dropping temperatures.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Our school closed after lunch, but nothing happened till evening.... Oooops..

flashback

Captain
Well we have survived and it's forecast to be close to 60f soon. Heat pump is frozen solid and haven't had any mail or deliveries since last Tuesday. Still have a few groceries left but no booze so it's time. :)