tachometer

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer
Looking at the wiring diagram, I can get the send signal from either of three wires, the yellow, yellow/gray, or the gray wire?

Any one of these should have the signal I need to get the tach to function correctly? Thanks,WAV.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: tachometer

Wav, That is correct. However, the grey wire is already connected (or should be) to the stator signal and routed to the instrument panel. Why would you want to use another wire?

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you for moving to the correct forum.

There is not a tach on the motor now, nor is there wire in the harness to connect a tach so It will be a wire as you go type project, thanks for the replies

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Wav, What kind of motor is it? Most of the larger HP motors were wired for tachs, although not all used the grey wire color. Some older Mercs used brown for the tach signal. also, the newer motors ran the tach signal through the voltage regulator. The older motors had rectifiers, and you needed to get the tach signal from one of the stator wires.

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer

1971 rude 60hp.

Thought I would just connect to one of the yellow wires from the stator as it is going into the rectifier assy. Thanks.

D_Rob99

Recruit

I just installed my new tach gauge today however I'm not sure what to use as the sending wire. I have a 93 70 HP Johnson (I think). I was told that I can buy the ignition kit to connect to my control panel and it will have ground, 12V ignition, and my tach wire. Is this true? I appreciate any help, and even some help getting my fuel gauge to work as well.

Thank you,

Dennis

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

To try and explain it simply, tachometers read off the alternating pulses from the stator. Any of the leads from the stator charging portion can be used for the signal. The designated tach signal wire is merely attached to one of those. Tachs have rotary switches on the back that set it to different numbers of coils in the charging circuit, times two because there is a positive and negative pulse for each coil for each cycle. Tachs measure pulses. That being said, you need a tach that has the setting that you need designated on the rotary switch.

The BRP tach of the right model comes with a harness that you can plug and play. The Teleflex tachometers offer the harness as well.

http://www.iboats.com/Teleflex_Tacho...-view_id.40245

Or you can easily wire most tachs, that have the correct settings on the rotary dial of course, by either going directly to the ignition switch or by cutting into the main harness.

This may help.

"http://ww2.tflx.com/pdf/obtach~1.pdf"