Tachometer replacement

brooksville_rebel

Petty Officer 1st Class
Boy seems like I am living on here these last few days as I rewire the pontoon.
I would like to replace the tachometer. In fact going to replace them all as none work, or worked intermittently Might be wiring, bad connections etc cut they look to be the original and the boat is a 1998.
I was looking at the tachometer from under the console and it looks like it has a wire harness that plugs into it. However looking online the new ones don't seem to have a harness hookup.
So how do the news on hookup ? Do I just cut the harness plug off and use certain wires out of it ?
THanks
Mark

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Usually they just have a positive, a negative (ground), and a pulse feed. You might be able to find an OEM one that fits the existing harness at Great Lakes Skipper.com

brooksville_rebel

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks I will check it. Boat is a 98 Grumman Funship 24ft pontoon. The engine was a 2002 40HP Mercury ELPTO that we blew and replaced with a 1987 Mercury 70Hp 3 cyc.
Cables used were the ones that were with the 2002. No clue what originally came with the boat. I tried looking on line but never found a answer. Would the harness worked for the original and then the 2002 and now the 1987 one ? Hope that makes sense.
Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You need to tell us if there are other functions on the tach, what engine, etc. Some tachs are called multi-function gauges. If that's what you have, then you will lose some functions (alarms for example) if your existing tach is replaced with a standard single function unit.

brooksville_rebel

Petty Officer 1st Class
Engine stuff is in the post above and the little history I have on it.
The tach is just a tack on the gauge face. However I do believe that there was a overheat alarm connected, I did not see any other wires running to any other components other than to the tach (the harness itself), which had a wire or two connected to the overheat alarm.
THanks

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Depending on the tach you buy, there could be a plug harness used for it. I bought all new Faria gauges and they all have connector type setups instead of wire terminals with nuts to hold the wires in place. So once you figure out the type gauges you want, check to see how they are connected. Could be you will need to buy the proper connectors. JMHO

brooksville_rebel

Petty Officer 1st Class
Heres pic of the tach. I was wrong on what it did too. It also had red lights on it for oil check, engine check hot and something else.
On the pic with the writing it says
176309 27-D-X Mexico
For use on 5 - 6 PUL/REV alternator equipped outboards.
Interenet search didn't bring up anything on the 176 number. No clue what the other line means.
Thanks

Attachments

• Backoftechwords.jpg
    Backoftechwords.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 0
  • BackofTach.jpg
    BackofTach.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 0