Tach STILL Not Working! Why??

jskise3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
New stator, new rectifier/regulator, new Faria tach, and new sending wire from terminal strip to signal post on tach. Dial is set on 6 and still no reading on tach. Y could this be?? Johnson GT 150 1985.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tach STILL Not Working! Why??

is the Tach getting +12VDC and ground as well as the signal?

jskise3

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeh... From ground to ignition on the back of the tach is 12.3 volts... When I turn the key the tach lights up and the needle jumps to 0. Just nothing when I start or run the boat? Is there a particular gauge of wire that needs to be used for the sending wire? I also put the sending wire on both sets of yellow wires where the rectifier and stator meet on the terminal strip like mr Reeves said, still no reading on the tach.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you put a volt meter across the battery and ran the motor at a high RPM for awhile, what kind of voltage do you get ?? If you get about 14 volts that means your charging system is working. You could have a bad new tach.

Last edited:

jskise3

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Boat started at idle for bout 5 minutes n had 13.5.... When revving pretty high around 14.5... I'm on muffs so afraid to run it too hard... Also when the overheat alarm sounds if I rev the motor it goes off... I have 2 thermostats on the way because I think they're sticking. I really want that tach working tho so I can change prop but I can't figure it out

boobie

Supreme Mariner

See if you can borrow a tach and try that.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

What do you mean "I also put the sending wire on both sets of yellow wires where the rectifier and stator meet on the terminal strip"? The sending wire should be on one or the other.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I read it as he did it one at a time.

jskise3

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeh I did one at a time because the new stuff didn't have the yellow striped

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Yeh I did one at a time because the new stuff didn't have the yellow striped

IS there a yellow with gray stripe wire? If so connect to that wire and see what happens. Also make sure you have the engine ground as the same ground for the tach. Otherwise it isn't making a completed circuit. You could also take the signal input wire from the tach and leave it loose at the engine terminal strip and touch the yellow wires on the terminal strip while the engine is running at idle and see if anyone of them read. One other thing is to turn the position switch on the back of the tach a few times to different settings to see if any of them read. Once you start getting any reading, then you can set to the proper setting...

jskise3

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Set on wrong poles... Had it on 6 instead of 5... Thanks for everything guys, I love this site!!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Strange.... All the rigs I've worked on, the 1985 150... and for that matter, any 1985 V6 has always required a #6 setting.

jskise3

Petty Officer 3rd Class

12 poles was number 5... I put it on 6 for 6 cylinders... The I looked up the application guide on faria.com... Just happy it works

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Must be a circuit difference between the OMC type tachs i used in the past and the Faria tach.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

That's a new one on me too !!