Tach question

EBBTIDE 78

Seaman Apprentice
Can you see if your tach is operational if your motor is not running? :confused: I own a 1977 70hp Evinrude.

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tach question

Nope, it gets it's signal from the rectifier. Did the tach quit working suddenly?

EBBTIDE 78

Seaman Apprentice

The motor runs like a top but the tach has not worked for a while. I just recently bought the boat and was told this from the start.

EBBTIDE 78

Seaman Apprentice

I was just looking for something to do this weekend. I was going to add this to my list of (bunk boards and slides,bimini top,side mount rod holders). I am not concerned that it dont work, because I dont run it wide open. There is no need to go that fast in my drive way. <br />The boat runs 26.8 mph according to gps.

jim_in_day

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is very possible that the reason your tach doesn't work is because of a bad rectifier. If that is the case, your battery won't charge either, and it it hard on the rest of your ignition components. Test and replace it if necessary. I'm nowhere near the shop, but there are a lot of posts on this forum on how to test the rectifier. I have a 76 70hp RUDE, it has issues, but I'm resolved to correct them all, and when it does run (occasionally) is really goes :)