Tach not working?

bkruger

Cadet
Hey all,<br /><br />I've got a 95 Grumman 20' pontoon with a 95 model 50 hp Johnson that I recently had some motor work done to. Ever since I got it back the tach doesn't work and the repair shop said that they didn't mess with anything under the console so they won't fix it. The gauge lights work and when I turn the key I can see the needle jump up to 0, but after the motor starts it just sits at 0. I've been told that the tach runs off of the powerpack and being electrical, there isn't much that can go wrong with it. Anyone have a suggestion?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Bill

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tach not working?

Outboard tachs get thier signal from the voltage rectifier/regulator. If it is bad, it will not supply DC power to the tach, or to the battery to keep it charged.<br />Check your battery to see if it is receiving a charge from the rectifier.<br /><br />If it is, then check for loose, broken, or bad connections in the wiring.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Tach not working?

I recently had some motor work done to. Ever since I got it back the tach doesn't work and the repair shop said that they didn't mess with anything under the console so they won't fix it.
It Worked Before,<br />And, Doesn't Now........<br />Well, THEY Did Something........<br />I'd either be going Back to THEM,<br />Or Looking Where THEY did THIER Work........<br /><br />Rule #1 in Wrenching is, Always go Back to the Last "Fixed" Problem, to find Any "New" Problems.........<br />I'm Guessing a Broken, or Dislodged Wire, Around Where THEY were Working................ ;)