Tach issues

BayouRunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Howdy...here's what I got....
I took a tach outta my boat that I suspected wasn't giving me an accurate reading. Stupid me, didn't mark the sending unit line, so I had 3 or 4 lines hangin after cutting the wires. Now I got my new tach in, have the power hooked and the ground hooked, but after trying the 3 to 4 lines hanging, nothing works! The tach I took out was working, albeit wrong, so I don't understand why the new tach isn't. Is it possible that the wire for the sending unit could have been or gone bad? I was told by a knowledgeable user here that the wire for the sending unit connects to the stator. Can I just eliminate that wire and run a new one? (I don't see why I can't). Also, if the ground wire is bad, will I still get a reading on the tach? I was told the setting that the tach had on it from the co. that I got it from, was wrong. It was set on 4 cylinder/4 cycle and should have been on 12v alt. I was also advised that even though it was on the wrong setting, I still should have gotten a reading (albeit wrong).

Bob Gilvary

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tach issues

Tachs for 4 cycle and 2 cycle aren't always the same. You might want to be sure you've got a designated 2 cycle tach.

BayouRunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Tach issues

I figured with 4 cycle written 3 times on the back, that is WAS a 4 cycle.