Tach for 1976 55 Johnson

wreckless

Seaman
I want to install a tach for my 76 55hp Johnson so I went to Boaters World to get one. All the tachs carried locally state they are for outboards with alternator. Boaters World rep said it would not work on my engine. What type tach does my old Johnnie take?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tach for 1976 55 Johnson

Any Tach that can be set to "6" pole with the selector dial on the back....Or, one of these will work well:<br /><br /> web page

wreckless

Seaman

None of the tachs I looked at BW had a selector on back. Neither does the tack I removed. I wanted a tach with a 3 1/2" diameter that will fit in the original hole in the inst panel. The rep at BW said I needed one for a generator type engine because the engine was an older model. I looked in my Johnson manual but it dosen't specify any type tach. I thought any tach for a two stroke O/B would work as long as the range was appropriate.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You have the same control and the same rectifier that I have on my 1976 115HP unless yours is a tiller model. I use the same OMC Tach on that as I have on my 88 Looper. Bottom line is that rickdb1boat is absolutely correct. I think that you would find that a Evinrude Johnson dealer will know more than Boaters' World about your motor.<br /><br />Also, they carry a good line of Teleflex Tachs here on Iboats. Call them up and maybe they will set you up with the right size.