Tach connections Faria

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
I have a tachometer manufactured by Faria, and it has the usual battery, ground and signal connections.

But it also has two other connections one marked “sync starboard” and one marked “sync port”.

Does anybody know what that is all about?

it was attached to a Johnson 150, J150EXECD.

Attachments

• photo325726.jpg
    photo325726.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo325727.jpg
    photo325727.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 2

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Obviously for twin engines. That's all I know.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Any chance that is for port and starboard heads? Two senders? Haven't seen one of those.

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me. Boat is a 22 foot Aquasport, always had an outboard on it. The switch on the back is set to the #5 position, which is the right one for a 6 cylinder 2-stroke.

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
I tried to check the Faria web site, but I can't find model number on this thing anywhere.

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
Obviously for twin engines. That's all I know.

I found this on the website:

”The Faria® Marine dual engine synchronizer is designed to indicate engine synchronization extremely accurately when the speeds of the two engines are compared to each other.”

But the diagram doesn’t match mine.

Attachments

• photo325778.jpg
    photo325778.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
most likely a syncronizer, not a tach

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Bud, Faria makes a "System Check" tachometer for your motor. It uses an 8 pin connector. The tach monitors the low oil, no oil, overheat and system check alarms.

I have one and find it useful. Your boat wiring harness should have both the 3 ring terminals and the 8 pin connector. It needs a horn also, which is soldered to the 8 pin wiring harness. You might look for it.

Faria is not the only manufacturer of System Check alarms for your motor.

BTW - System Check alarm is a fuel restriction. It is signaled by a vacuum switch on the fuel line.

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
Bud, Faria makes a "System Check" tachometer for your motor. It uses an 8 pin connector. The tach monitors the low oil, no oil, overheat and system check alarms.

I have one and find it useful. Your boat wiring harness should have both the 3 ring terminals and the 8 pin connector. It needs a horn also, which is soldered to the 8 pin wiring harness. You might look for it.

Faria is not the only manufacturer of System Check alarms for your motor.

BTW - System Check alarm is a fuel restriction. It is signaled by a vacuum switch on the fuel line.

I’ll keep an eye out. VRO was disconnected by previous owner, who switched to pre-mix. But I like having sensors and alarms!

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
I was able to use a multimeter to determine which pins went to which wires. But the pins were so dirty and corroded, I was getting 10-20 ohms of resistance. I tried to clean them up, but could not get good continuity. I cut off the connector because it was obviously not salvageable. I see them on eBay for $30-40.

But here is the pin pattern, if anybody needs it.

Attachments

• photo325783.jpg
    photo325783.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 0

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
Sorry this is the wrong thread for this info! Will re-post in the right place.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Bud, If you run pre-mixed fuel, you will have two sensors that don't do anything. It would be simple to hook up a switch that grounds one of those sensors, and sets off the alarm on demand.

Lets say you are out boating and your companion is talking your ear off. Simply flip the switch and instant motor alarm! "Have to go to shore now, sorry".

Just a suggestion...

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
Bud, If you run pre-mixed fuel, you will have two sensors that don't do anything. It would be simple to hook up a switch that grounds one of those sensors, and sets off the alarm on demand.

Lets say you are out boating and your companion is talking your ear off. Simply flip the switch and instant motor alarm! "Have to go to shore now, sorry".

Just a suggestion...

Genius!