Tach Adjustment

mrmushroomman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have been having a problem with my wot range running in the 5100 rpm range and was looking at trying a differnt prop. I talked to my mechanic yesterday and he said to check the back of my tach and make sure the adjustment was in the right spot because he said there was no way that it should be that high with a 23 pitch prop on a 4.3 v6. It was a tad above the 6c mark on the back of the tach.I am wondering if that would make a 300rpm difference. Any help would be great. Hopefully i posted this in the correct section. Thanks in advance.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tach Adjustment

I recommend you go on the web to the manufacturer of the tach and see what setting is correct for your V6 4 cycle motor.

I agree that 5100 RPM is likely an incorrect reading. Normally max RPM on that motor should be in the low-mid 4K range.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Whatever the setting is suppose to be, and I believe 6C is correct, it should be pointing directly to the mark. Those are very small contacts in there and it doesn't take much to get them off. Turn it back and forth a few times then stop so it points directly on the mark.

mrmushroomman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies.It will be a few weeks before the wheather will allow me to get to the water to check and see if the adjustment i made helped. I will post and let you know how i make out with it.