Tach 76 Chrysler 120

Im trying to get a tach for my 76 Chrysler 120 (Model# 1209HF). Ive done alot of searching but find alot of conflicting information so Im hoping someone can clear it up for me. Iv'e seen this motor listed as having a 20 pole stator, and a 12 pole stator, ive also been told that crysler engines with the magnapower ignition are near impossible to get tachs for. The engine cover says maganpower 120 but its my understanding (and again I may be wrong) that the magnapower ignition would have 4 coils under the flywheel? This engine has a single coil and a belt driven distributor.

Hopefully someone here can clear this up for me and point me to a tach that will work here.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tach 76 Chrysler 120

In various years, the 120 was made with a number of ignition systems. Being a '76, your engine probably has the electric eye (electronic) distributor, Motorola ignition.

The distributor ignition engines ALWAYs were 12 pole alternators. They may have been called "Magna Power", however, this was the relatively trouble free Motorola system and NOT the "Magna Power II" which was the worst ignition system used by Chrysler.

Your engine (any Chrysler distributor ignition engine) will use a standard Teleflex or other brand tach. Although wiring diagrams show the purple wire used for tachometer, with the standard tach, the white wire is used for signal. If there is a switch on the back, it is set for (4).--4 pulses per revolution. If you buy a tach that is interchangeable between 20 pole and 12 pole, (and they are made, I just don't remember who made them) then you use the purple wire and set the switch on the back to (3) or 12 pole alternator.

Just be sure you buy a 2 cycle tach. 4 cycle tachs will not work.