system over charging

rockytop93

Seaman
could anyone help me with an overcharging problem? 1975 merc 650 65hp 3 cyl. Has been working fine. Showing about 13 volts on the gauge at higher rpm. Cruising along yesterday at about 4000 rpm noticed gauge showing 16 volts. In the red on my gauge. Tried slowing down slowly, stayed at 16 v to about 1500 rpm then gradually came down to 13v at idle. Thanks in advance for your help. Allen Straub

KCLOST

Commander
Re: system over charging

rocky,<br /><br />I'm not really sure about this one... Due to the year of your motor...<br />If you have your manual see what it states as far as charging voltage...<br />I would think 14V is more normal... This could be a regulator problem, but I don't think your motor has one.. So, maybe a rectifier?????

threecylinder

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 74 500, If the battery is fully charged I get 16v on the gauge. On the instructions that came with the gauge(it is a quicksilver gauge) It said that this is normal with an unregulated system.<br /><br />If I have been fishing all day and the battery has drained, from the fishfinders, etc, I will show a more normal 14v on the way back home.<br /><br />Hope this helps

rockytop93

Seaman

thanks for the info. the battery was fully charged, just had never seen gauge run so high. Will double check my clymer today, thanks