Synthetic winch cable, Dynema, opinion please

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I use steel winch cable on my boat trailer but I would like to consider this new material and would like some opinion before I make the switch.

Thank you,
Nick

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Re: Synthetic winch cable, Dynema, opinion please

I use it on my ATV and man, that stuff is strong, we used my ATV a couple of years ago, to pull out a Toyota pickup, no signs of stress at all on the cable.

I know they also use the stuff on Navy ships as ocean going tug boats.

oldjeep

Admiral

For a boat winch line I would not have an issue as long as you are protecting it from abrasion. For a winch line on a vehicle, the stuff sucks and is dangerous unless you use it in an environment where it'll never touch anything or get dirty.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

We only use synthetic winch line on our boom trucks, and pull old poles right out of the ground with it, its tuff stuff!

Make sure the end eyes are spliced or threaded together, eyes that are mechanicaly or sewn together are not worth a damn.

I would recommend a 3/8" size if your winch drum will hold enough line.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Put dyneema on my atv winch last fall. Plowed 4 times and snapped it. Abrasions killed it, even with a high quality fairlead.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I would guess thats why most use straps instead.

robert graham

Admiral

Dynema is one of the synthetic high strength aramid fibers similar to Kevlar, Nomex, etc., and they have excellent strength and durability except for being sensitive to abrasion, UV light and a natural tendency to loose some of their super strength/powers over time. I'd consider the Dynema, and no more stuck fingers from rusty, frayed steel cable wires! Good Luck!;)