Synthetic vs. Blend

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class
At the risk of starting more discussion than I would like! I have a '95 Merc 225 EFI, it has aprox. 520 hours on it. It runs real well, & has since I got it new. I have run merc premium plus oil (Bulk) in it always, decarbed every year, & am very carefull with the gas. I was thinking of seitching to a synthetic or blend oil, such as penzoil just to cut down on the fumes at idle speed when coming down the canal. With the wind at my back it's somewhat strong, not like a crop duster but I don't want to have the small children I sometimes with me breath this stuff. Any Ideas on which for my engine. Thanks, Joe

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Synthetic vs. Blend

Sorry for spelling, I was thinking of switching to a synthetic or blend.

Bwalker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Premium plus is a synthetic blend and a pretty good oil. If it works why change?

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

I may be wrong, but I do not believe Merc Premium Plus is synthetic or blend synthetic Ben. I don't see anywhere on the container synthetic. I do believe it's good oil, my only thought is to try to cut down the fumes. Thanks for reply, Joe

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Perfidiajoe:<br />I see you got 257 posts. Haven’t you read all the oil wars on this forum?<br />If you’re going to switch oil go 100% synthetic. Why mess around with a blended if you the reason you want to switch is that you want to cut down on fumes and smoke.<br /><br />Just don’t mix it at 100 to 1 or talk about synthetic oil that dealers sell out of their garages sure to start an OIL WAR. <br /> :D :D

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer

mercury premium plus is a synthetic blend, not 100% dyno or 100% synthetic. It contains more marine additive packages than the regular mercury premium 2 stroke oil, and is ment for higher horsepower applications or for operation in extreme conditions. I have run premium plus merc oil in my 2005 150 xr6 merc which has about 75 hours on it, and has wqorked excellent for me so far. you should be fine using premium plus oil..its a good oil, but if you want to eliminate smoke 100% synthetic is the oly way to go.

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

05GlasstronSX Premium plus is not a synthetic blend, don't confuse it w/ DFI/Optimax merc oil, which is, & says so on the bottle. I also said I know Premium plus is a good oil, I only wanted to know, in other peoples opinions if a synthetic or a blend, which premium plus is not, would cut down on exhaust fumes. Bommer thanks for the reply, I don't buy from a garage, or would I mix at a different ratio than specified, if I mixed at all, my oil pump works fine. I see you have 151 posts, I believe you would start an other oil war Quicker be reading more or less from a post than was actually there.

LubeDude

Admiral

Even if you switch to a full synthetic oil, you wont cut down on the fumes much, most of what you are smelling is fuel. You just cant see the smoke, the fumes will still be there.

timmathis

Lieutenant

Either way you go it's not going to make that much of a difference. <br />Tim

Bwalker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Premium plus is indeed a syn blend. I know it doesnt say so on Mercs website, but it is a Poly Iso Butene/mineral oil syn blend.

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks LubeDude, that's exactly what I needed confirmed.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I used to use reg oil, switched to syn blend-not much difference- actually a bit MORE visible smoke (or steam) from 2 of my motors.<br /><br />Last year I went to full syn. There is less smoke. And I hope the fumes are a bit less toxic.<br /><br />You can get the full syn for under $20 a gallon now, so that is what I will continue to use.<br /><br />"...but I don't want to have the small children I sometimes with me breath this stuff."<br /><br />I love that smell. Not that I'm gonna stick my nose in the exhaust relief holes, but.. It brings back memories. I was brought up on that smell.<br /> :)

ZmOz

Captain

I love those fumes. 32:1 on cheap oil with rich carbs...mmmmmmm... :D

BillP

Captain

Just for something to do I recently switched from Pennzoil blend to Wallyworld non synthetic to see if there was much smoke difference. 24 gals later and I have NO doubt the semi synthetic blend puts less smoke out. Enough less for me to put the wally oil on the back shelf.<br /><br />I've run all synthetic in various 2 stroke mcys and lawn gear...it always smokes less than pet oil.<br /><br />Lubddude, if you ran 4 strokes too it would be major obvious how bad fumes are with 2 stokes and oil mixed in the gas. I originally bought a 4 stroke for that reason only and the difference is huge. There's very little exhaust fumes from gas compared to an oil/gas mix.

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

My old O/B was a Mariner 50 hp 4 cylinder. It lived its entire life on regular Yamalube oil. I loved that motor...ran flawlessly but there was an obvious smell and smoke. My retired mother on occasion (who loves to fish) would occasionally comment that the smoke burned her eyes- although it never really bothered me too much. <br /><br />My new O/B is a Nissan 50 TLDI. This is the second season on that outboard. It has had a diet of Klotz synthetic. When you open the jug of oil it has a very distinct sweet smell. It also smells sweet in its exhaust. I notice no smoke and the rare whiff of sweet smell in the exhaust is not unpleasant. Klotz calls it their "racey" smell. It is also worth noting that this Nissan DFI engine probably runs at a lower oil ratio that my old Mariner did.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by BillP:<br /> Lubddude, if you ran 4 strokes too it would be major obvious how bad fumes are with 2 stokes and oil mixed in the gas. I originally bought a 4 stroke for that reason only and the difference is huge. There's very little exhaust fumes from gas compared to an oil/gas mix.
Bill:<br /><br />That wasnt my point, I totally agree with you, what I ment and thought I made clear was that even though you dont see it as much, <br />the synthetic will still smell as much as far as fumes go in a 2 stroke.

Realgun

Commander

I got the semi synthetic Cabellas oil when I bought my boat. It hardly smoked at all and I was wondering why all the people were bad mouthing the Force motors for smoking. Then I tried a gallon of the Wally World oil. I am tempted to toss it in the trash and use something else due to the blue smke I am getting now!