Switching to a Hustler, what is the correct prop nut torque?

jkust

Rear Admiral
Hi all, I am finally switching props from my original Black Max three blade 14 1/4 x 21 alum prop to a same dimensions Turningpoint Hustler on my 2003 Chaparral 4.3 Mercruiser. I'll keep the Black Max as a spare since I have been boating all this time withouth one. It is supposed to arrive this week in time for our boating vacation over the week of the 4th. I ordered a floating prop wrench but my question is what is the correct torque spec for the prop nut? Is it correct to just tighten it as much as possible and not be concerned with a torque spec? I assume that may be the case since a floating prop wrench is for on the water prop changes and clearly a torque wrench wouldn't be available then.

Thanks,

-Jason

dsmmace

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Switching to a Hustler, what is the correct prop nut torque?

50 Ft Lbs if I remember correctly.

oldjeep

Admiral

Did you also order a high performance trim tab or offset trim tab?

The hustler props stick out further and contact the stock trim tab.

dsmmace

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have not been using a prop tab. I have a blank plate there.

dsmmace

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yup, I haven't driven a boat without, is there a difference in driveabilty without the tab?

jkust

Rear Admiral

Did you also order a high performance trim tab or offset trim tab?

The hustler props stick out further and contact the stock trim tab.

I'm guessing you were asking me this question since it's my thread. The trim tab is flat and the Hustler fit same as the stock prop. Yes I do have power steering. Funny think is I ordered the 1 1/16 " floating prop wrench, placed it snugly on the nut and the plastic prop wrench stripped instantly. What a waste. I ended up using a crescent wrench instead. I hope the Hustler provides some improvement over the original prop. I will know next week.

Oh I almost forgot the torque spec is 55lbs.

oldjeep

Admiral

I'm guessing you were asking me this question since it's my thread. The trim tab is flat and the Hustler fit same as the stock prop. Yes I do have power steering. Funny think is I ordered the 1 1/16 " floating prop wrench, placed it snugly on the nut and the plastic prop wrench stripped instantly. What a waste. I ended up using a crescent wrench instead. I hope the Hustler provides some improvement over the original prop. I will know next week.

Oh I almost forgot the torque spec is 55lbs.

I think you'll like the hustler, I've got the same one you do and I can tell the difference when it is on vs one of my mercury/quicksilver props. It's quicker out of the hole.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

It would be interesting to see your Hustler results.
It is a very agressive prop and I like them.However they are unpredictable.
With results so varied that it has led some to wonder if some are miss marked.