Swim platform ladder

Sliver

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but.... The small ladder on my Sunbird is a bit too short for my use. I was wondering about a telescoping ladder to mount under the platform. I am looking at the Windline 3 step under platform telescoping ladder. When stowed does this one stay flat under the platform? As always you all are a big help, Thanks.IMG_0198.JPG

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Swim platform ladder

Unless the under platform ladder has some sort of strap to hold it horizontal gravity will keep it straight down. I got the telescoping 2 step ladder and mounted it on the platform, like my original one was. A velcro strap holds it closed and it just sits on the platform when not in use. You might find that 2 steps will work well for you instead of 3 steps.

Sliver

Seaman Apprentice

DRS,

Could you post a picture? Thanks

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

They fold upwards and are stored flat on top of the platform, then strapped down with a nylon strap. Much like your current one step stores now. From your picture, it looks like as long as the new ladder fits between your transom/ platform support rails, it should work for you.

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer

I've been looking into this myself, except I need to add the platform AND ladder. Look at this thread to see how Drowned Rat has his set up. I believe he used the same (or similar) under platform ladder that you are looking at. Just make sure that your existing platform is long enough front to back to fit the entire ladder slide underneath.

And of course, let us know how it turns out! :)

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer

Not to change the subject, but DRS, what wood is your platform made of? Did you make it, buy it, or did it just come with your boat?

I'm thinking of building/buying one of some sort, and I'm trying to get some ideas. Your's doesn't look overly complicated to build, but it looks nice.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

Not to change the subject, but DRS, what wood is your platform made of? Did you make it, buy it, or did it just come with your boat?

I'm thinking of building/buying one of some sort, and I'm trying to get some ideas. Your's doesn't look overly complicated to build, but it looks nice.

Thanks DC. It is teak and came with the boat. It was in really rough shape. I sanded it down to bare wood and have put at leat 12 coats of Watco Teak oil on it since mid January. This is it before I sanded it:

Attachments

• SWIM PLATFORM 1.JPG
    SWIM PLATFORM 1.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 0

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Silver , don't know if you decided on how to mount your ladder, but I installed a Windline over platform, 3 step ladder, and it is a very sturdy and well-made ladder. I really like the over platform design; much easier to stow than an under platform model would be, I think.

Anyway, good luck!

Sliver

Seaman Apprentice

Hello again,

Proper protocol is to finish a thread right? Well I did end up with the Windline over platform 3 step and it works great! I decided on the over so as to easily confirm that it is up when it's time to go. I did have to add some blocking under the platform as the new ladder is quite a bit skinnier than the old one. I guess that is my only complaint, I wish it was a bit wider. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_0198.JPG
    IMG_0198.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0262.JPG
    IMG_0262.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0263.jpg
    IMG_0263.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 0

SDSeville

Lieutenant

Looks great Silver! I think I will get one of those to replace my 1 step ladder.