swim platform help

contractorguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm building an extended swim platform for my bayliner. I've built the plywood core and want to lay it up and finish with a slick OE looking gelcoat. I was going to use poly resin and a couple layers of woven mat, but after researching...not so sure.

Here's what I've got so far...

http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w159/swgconstruction/swimplatform/?albumview=slideshow

I'm thinking now, epoxy is the way to go, but if I go with epoxy, what kind of finish do you use (gelcoat?). How about fairing? Any tips on applying gelcoat with a sprayer?

You guys are pulling off some amazing projects on here, and I'm kinda ashamed to ask about my little oversized surfboard:D

Thanks!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: swim platform help

I couldn't see the link, but you can use either product, most are made with polyester though.

erikgreen

Captain

You can use poly, and if you do, gelcoat is the way to go. It'll match the rest of the boat best that way.

With epoxy, you have two choices. You can paint it, or else you can cover it with one of the "epoxy gelcoat" replacements or epoxy with a UV protective additive. There are a few decent coatings out there that'll work on epoxy well.

For a swim platform, if I really wanted to match the boat, I'd cover it with poly and then use some partial molds and gelcoat to finish the surface, working wet on wet.

Erik

oops!

Supreme Mariner

im doing the same thing in a few days....didnt see the link....

you have two ways......make a mold using a sheet of plywood and then lay an arbourite layer over top of the ply....add wax..(releasing agent)...and gell coat...full stregnth...when good and tacky....start glassing.....light layer of woven first...matt...thick cloth...(1708 bi ax.matt side down) then add another three layers of 1708 (or other).....cure and pull....glass three boards 1x6 across the bottom...a few ins apart (to screw the brackets into)

2ond way....forget the mold....just glass over a sheet of ply with the same schedule......(thin ply)...lay the cloth over the edge in a round shape.....

when cured....sand lightly (you still want rough for foot grip)....cut off over lap. then paint gell coat...80% gell 20% acetone.....with the color of choice

both can be done in less than a day

cheers
oops

OhWellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am definately no fiberglass guy so don't laugh too hard but here goes. What if you used a layer of woven roven towards the end of the layup and use the imprint that it left for the traction surface? Just a silly thought I had

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I can't look at it because it requires an updated version of the software and I can't download it onto my company laptop.

A roving pattern would work if you liked the look, but most want a different finish.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

holy smokes man....!

thats as solid as a transom !..(link worked today... kinda)

thats a lot of weight hangin off yer butt.....

but...just glass it like you would a deck..(floor..sole).....thin layers...matt first...then cloth..(this is for sealing the wood)..then at full stregnth gell coat it with the color of gell you choose.....use a roller and it will not flow...when dry ...it will give you a shiney...dimpled apperance with good foot grip....(exactally the pattern of a roller with thick paint.

contractorguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

holy smokes man....!

thats as solid as a transom !..(link worked today... kinda)

thats a lot of weight hangin off yer butt.....

Yea, I have some large..er...uh..um... A large family. Don't want any embarrassing moments;)

It's 'only' 32lbs now.... The piece I cut out of the bottom took 14lbs off. I'll definitely weigh it when I'm done.
I've already decided that if it causes problems, I'll make another one w/a foam core.

Just ordered more resin and gelcoat...gotta wait till next week. It sucks livin' in the boonies!

Last edited:

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Wow, really nice work. I think using poly and gel coat is the most forgiving medium and gel coat can be bought in pre-mixed colors that match popular late model boat factory colors (do some searches on gel coat).

Being a swim platform, it would be a good idea to mix in some texture in the final gel coat. There are sands and other materials that make the gel non-slip. It will also help hide and waviness in the top side, and give it a factory look finish. Leave about 2 or 3 inches around the perimeter "un-textured".

Keep posting! I think this is a really great project that really adds value and practical use to the boat.