swim platform construction

cowboyup

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm finishing up the mold for my swim platform and am contemplating the core material. I used 3/4" Douglas fir for my stringers, so it seems reasonable to use the same wood for the platform. However, I've managed to find 3/8 pine from a large crate. Could I laminate the two 3/8 pieces together to make the 3/4" thickness I need? Does pine accept the epoxy as well as fir? Do I put a layer or two of 1-1/2 mat in between the 3/8" plywood? Thanks for your input.

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer
Re: swim platform construction

What size boat you have?Why would you want all that weight?Hows about hollow core it?That would be the way to go!<br />As for as the plywood,yes it would be best to put 1 1/2 oz matting in between them and pine will work as good as fir if it is dry.

cowboyup

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's a 24' Grady with a full transom and Grady style bracket. I do a lot of diving, so i need a platform that'll hold my big butt + dive gear on the ladder. Add a little rock and roll wave action and suddenly there's a whole lot of force on that corner. If hollow core construction will withstand that abuse, I'm all ears.

G DANE

Commander

I once made one for my 21', sandwich construction, 2 layers of 3/8" plywood with styrefoam between and 5/8"x 2" fir in all edges. More fir where brackets were to mount. Glued and stiched it together. Routed all corners round. Covered everything with 3 layers of cloth and poly, grinded ( Hard part ) and painted several times with polyureathane in boats colour. Strong to carry a tank !! Held up fine, and still does, I sold boat 6 yrs ago, but see it every summer. Not heavy either.

Wittsend

Cadet

You could use two sheets of 3/4 inch starboard and laminate them together. they shouldn't go anywhere.