Swelling Powerpack

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
internal short... internal heat

excessive current flow may be caused by an external issue

Culpy14

Cadet
Yea I replaced the stator and rectifier previous to the power pack. The engine overheated and blew the rectifier up, and the stator resistance was out of spec.

Now I have blown coils when things get warmed up.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Did the overheat horn not sound ?----Compression test is first thing to do.-----Post the numbers here.

Culpy14

Cadet
Did the overheat horn not sound ?----Compression test is first thing to do.-----Post the numbers here.
No, it was broken. The block and heads warped from the overheat and I had them machined and are fine now.

Compression is fine; I checked that, but wouldn’t be causing an ignition coil to blow. The power pack top is definitely swelled though. I just installed that back at the end of August and it ran great. Now it’s misfiring again.

The previous misfire was from water seeping past the head gasket, and I’m assuming the stator being 100ohms out of spec.

Culpy14

Cadet
How much voltage is acceptable on the black and yellow kill wire? I have 15mV on the wire with the key set to on and the engine turned off.

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
How much voltage is acceptable on the black and yellow kill wire? I have 15mV on the wire with the key set to on and the engine turned off.
that isnt the issue here. anything under 2v and you are fine. turn key off and on rapidly and look at your meter is the proper way to test for voltage. i had a brand new CDI pack for my GT100 do the same thing a couple months ago. I noticed a large "lump" or bubble appear on the pack. still ran fine. I replaced it of course. but i suspect faulty manufacturing as all my other ignition components were fine, including a new regulated rectifier. replace it and see what it does.