swapping out powerhead on Johnson 120

tbagger

Cadet
Hi guys, new member here . I'm primarily a sailor so not very familiar with outboards, please bear with me. I picked up a 24ft pontoon boat with a 120hp on it and the seller said the powerhead was bad, it's actually off the motor. Whats there is from the top of the shaft ( 1 or 2 inches with splines showing ) down to the prop, I think he said the vro pump was new and he took that off and resold it. I don't even know what a vro pump is. Anyways I was thinking of trying to find a good powerhead and bolt it on top and was wondering what other hp's would be compatible, I don't really need a 120, would like to go as low as I can and still work. No vro pump might be a problem right? I also have an older merc 500 Icould use but the 120 has power trim and all the controls already hooked up. The 120 is model J120TLCO a 1980 I believe. Any useful comments would be welcomed, thanks.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: swapping out powerhead on Johnson 120

Your motor is a 1985 120 V4 looper. Most any V4 looper powerhead will bolt up but you might be ahead to rebuild what you have. The VRO (Variable Ratio Oiling) pump is a fuel and oil pump but is no longer produced. The replacement is what's called an OMS (Oil Metering System) pump. The OMS pump has much better alarms.

SparkieBoat

Captain

you may come out better looking for a good used complete engine, it will be easier to find and you will know that it runs good as you should insist on testing the motor before buying it. you could also pay a mechanic to evaluate the block you have... a late 80s 115 in good shape usually go for around $800-1500. I have a 1995 long shaft 115 evinrude and a 1997 short shaft 115 Johnson for sale if you are anywhere near Savannah GA..check your local Craigs list or sales paper, I am sure you could find one..you should get $200-300 for the foot that you have if it is any good. and maybe $100-50 for the old powerhead.

tbagger

Cadet

Thanks for the input guys, Idon't have the powerhead , just the rest, from the splines on the shaft down. Maybe it would be easier to sell what I have then searching for a powerhead.