Swap drives from one boat to another. How many day project?

matt167

Captain
Do I use any kind of sealant on the bolts through the transom?

I’m pretty sure the guy I bought the StarCraft from used 5200 on the transom assembly when he put the new transom in. Sure looks like it. So that one is probably going to be stubborn to come out… if only he didn’t screw up the gimbal pins

I think I have some #3. I’ve gotten the small tubes of 5200 from Walmart when I’ve needed it in the past. Not always in stock though

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the wood may need sealant

if the transom shield has 5200 on it, you may need some debond 5015

the last glued in transom shield I removed, I used plastic window wedges, debond and a flexible razor

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Always a good idea after test fitment of transom assembly to epoxy the exposed wood of the transom cut out and seal the wood of the transom bolt holes or use a good below water sealant on the transom bolt holes that is NOT permanent.

One just doesn't want sealant on areas where it doesn't belong.

The boat factory does not do this extra sealing work because it costs more labor.

Experts here may have better recommendations.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
I used 4200 on the through bolts on mine, seems like a good place for water intrusion. Mine has localized transom rot around the bolts

matt167

Captain
Will the shift and throttle cables work from the old 1971 drive? It’s the kind that has the cables on the transom and a separate for the carb: The alpha has the cables on the top of the valve cover

matt167

Captain
Now the question is to bellows or not to bellows?. They look great inside and out and the bearing is smooth… but I don’t know how old they are. I pulled the drive off yesterday and I expected it to put up a fight. But it practically fell off and everything that should be greased was greased so I don’t think the parts boat was mechanically neglected, only structurally neglected.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Now the question is to bellows or not to bellows?. They look great inside and out and the bearing is smooth… but I don’t know how old they are. I pulled the drive off yesterday and I expected it to put up a fight. But it practically fell off and everything that should be greased was greased so I don’t think the parts boat was mechanically neglected, only structurally neglected.
If they look good leave them

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... It appears yer a pretty handy kinda guy, that probably takes pretty good care of his stuff,....
I say run 'em til you see any wear, or cracking showing up,....
You might get another 5 years or more,..... Fill the gas tank instead,...... ;)

matt167

Captain
Perhaps I should do the swap. Stick it in the water and see what happens. I’ll have some bugs to work out and it’s a $20 set of gaskets if something is amiss.

I grew up with my dad running sketchy boats. Sometimes in sketchy conditions. We had a lot of fun fishing the finger lakes. I still go out with my dad from time to time… but I like my boats 90-100%. Not fully restored, just nice and mechanically sound.. it’s why when I added up the cost of the little boat, I’m pushing $11k invested. That wasn’t the best idea but for a small easy to tow lake boat it surely is nice

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I grew up with my dad running sketchy boats. Sometimes in sketchy conditions. We had a lot of fun fishing the finger lakes. I still go out with my dad from time to time… but I like my boats 90-100%. Not fully restored, just nice and mechanically sound.. it’s why when I added up the cost of the little boat, I’m pushing $11k invested. That wasn’t the best idea but for a small easy to tow lake boat it surely is nice

where in finger lakes ? Life long Cayuga lake boater myself.

same thing on the maintenance. I started helping my grandfather with his 1966 Penn Yan when I was 13 or 14.… still do winterization pretty much the same way, but more leaning towards PM with things like fuel filters, bellows, oil leaking from propshaft etc As we came in on the kicker many a time.

I was about the same cost to buy a good shape except for cracked block boat and repower as well. You don’t get much for $10-11 k in terms of a boat any more so enjoy it

matt167

Captain
Cayuga and Seneca. Usually on Cayuga out of Deans cove or Lodi point, and if we venture out on Seneca, it’s always Sampson beach.

The big boat which is the one I’m working on. I’m in right now for $5k or so with the parts boat and all. But I have to put it together and get it all worked out yet. But the cheapest boat that’s not a Jon boat is $25k for a basic fish and ski

The little boat is my 14’ StarCraft I did a working restore on from a clapped out fishing boat and repowered with a brand new outboard

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know some will think I’m deferring maintenance, one of my current boat has the original bellows at 19yrs old. It’s been stored on the trailer with the drive down. I do plan to replace this fall. No visible cracks and fairly pliable still.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I know some will think I’m deferring maintenance, one of my current boat has the original bellows at 19yrs old. It’s been stored on the trailer with the drive down. I do plan to replace this fall. No visible cracks and fairly pliable still.
I did mine 2 years ago, were 18 yrs old and not torn, they were starting to show chaffing on sides where they rub against gimbal but not leaking. Makes a case for oem parts
Cayuga and Seneca. Usually on Cayuga out of Deans cove or Lodi point, and if we venture out on Seneca, it’s always Sampson beach.

The big boat which is the one I’m working on. I’m in right now for $5k or so with the parts boat and all. But I have to put it together and get it all worked out yet. But the cheapest boat that’s not a Jon boat is $25k for a basic fish and ski

The little boat is my 14’ StarCraft I did a working restore on from a clapped out fishing boat and repowered with a brand new outboard
we are up in Union springs on north end, lucky enough my grand parents had a cottage there since early 60’s.

Alumarine

Captain
Perhaps I should do the swap. Stick it in the water and see what happens. I’ll have some bugs to work out and it’s a $20 set of gaskets if something is amiss.

Not even $20. I'd say run it.