Suzuki DT85 timing off by 40 degrees

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
I have recently acquired an 81 DT85 (8501-001734) as a resurrection project.

Well, it lacked spark, and through diagnostics found it to need a CDI switchbox and a couple of ignition coils.

Now, after replacement of these components I have great spark, but the timing for all three cylinders appears to be about 30-50 degrees retarded. I have indexed and checked the flywheel, it's timing grid, and piston locations to verify and they are all correct.

Upon extensive (well extensive enough) research I find that somewhere in the model range they changed the triggerbase/flywheel as a pair and I may have from some previous owner received mismatched components.

I have seen a difference between my flywheel and it's internal ring magnet, and it's relationship with the keyway by way of a mechanical drawing in a manual,

but have not seen (as of yet) a timer base with the control arm and it's relationship to the 3 pickup coils (yet) with the corresponding difference.

I think I can possibly change one, or the other to correct this issue.

I have called around looking for parts and most suppliers want to sell the pair for about $300. this is currently way out of the budget for this motor after already dropping $200 for the CDI and coils.

That and I still have no confirmation that the timing variance is actually a parts mismatch.

I'm including a couple pics of what I have at hand.

Perhaps someone has dealt with this issue, can shed light on this, or has a motor in the bone yard with parts available at a very reasonable cost that I can acquire to help me correct my issue. yepblaze@hotmail.com

These components (by way of my research) are somewhat compatible between the dt75 and dt85 through about 1980 and about 1984.

Attachments

• trigger2.jpg
    trigger2.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 0
  • clockker.jpg
    clockker.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 0

James R

Commander
Re: Suzuki DT85 timing off by 40 degrees

Is it possible that the timer base has been removed and incorrectly installed.
Sometimes the drawings on brownspoint.com in the parts section can be of help.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

No, in this case it only goes on one way. Believe me, I've stared, scratched my head, and tried.

I'm even considereding cutting the actuator arm off of the timer baase and welding it back on in the correct location to make it work.

James R

Commander

Back to basic research. Do a comparison check on the part numbers for your year up to 1985 on brownspoint,com. That is when Suzuki made changes to most models. Find out which year motors and which sizes have the same part numbers for the flywheel and timers. Now you can look on Ebay or other sources for parts that fit.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

Problem is that they switch flywheel and timerbase as a pair midway through a selected range but do not give any description as to what changed. Only that they change as a pair.

I've talked with most of the used parts suppliers and may have even found "the pair" at a reasonable cost, yet upon description of the CDI they say was in use with their supplied pair I find variances that make me question the whole process.

I've already dropped $$ for coils and a bad CDI then more $$$ for a good CDI, but If I end up with a flywheel/triggerbase that somehow is not compatible with the current operational CDI, I just go deeper.

I'm thinking I can cut the arm off the timerbase, index it all out and re weld it to correct this problem. I'll just have to be precise so I can achieve the proper settings when done.

James R

Commander

I dont think I can help you more except to give you Suzuki customer service.
714-572-1490.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

I needa finda welder.

hereandthere.jpg

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

It started right up.