Suzuki dt65 gear shift

View attachment 229591View attachment 229591View attachment 229591My mid 90s dt65 now starts but will not go into neutral or forward gears, only reverse. I failed to remove the lower unit last year and after reading some previous threads I think that I pulled the shift rod out I have finally succeeded in removing the lower unit from my outboard by detaching the shift rod under the carbs. Very awkward to get at. My problem now is that I am not sure how to check if the shift rod is working or not. The remote control unit now allows me to shift to all gears with no lower unit attached. I have therefore concluded that the problem is in the lower unit. To change gears how does the shift rod work. Should it move up or down or rotate. At present it does not seem to move any direction and I can not get the lower unit to move out of reverse. Does this indicate that the shift rod is out of place. I am thinking that if I pulled the rod up to far then the part in the gearbox has pushed in below it stopping it from moving down again and that it is already at it highest point and will not move up either.,or maybe it is just seized. I have included some picture showing the shift rod. Sorry for the rambling description but I would be great full if anyone has any thoughts on this.

mphelle8vld

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Suzuki dt65 gear shift

The shift rod operates by moving up and down. If it's properly installed, with the push rod riding in the cam slot, it would not rotate.

mphelle8vld

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Suzuki dt65 gear shift

It takes very little effort to pull on the shift rod and render it inoperable. Looking at your previous postings, if you applied any force to try and remove the lower unit with the shift rod still attached at the top, it's time to take it in for repair.

Last edited: