Surge Brake Question

Quit It

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can someone tell me more about this? I took the cap off trying to get to the fluid reservoir.
IMG_1076-1.jpg
Seller wasn't much help. Is there a lock-out for reverse? Any way to test the brakes & lockout besides loading a boat on it?

Thanks

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Surge Brake Question

Need more info!

4 pin or 5 pin connector?
Disk or drum brakes?

The lever with the smaller chain on the top of the actuator is the Emergency/Breakaway lever.
Lifting the lever should engage the brakes, Trailer should NOT roll forward..

Edit:
Looking closer...
Looks like 4 pin connector.
I'll guess your have free backing drum brakes.
No Lockout needed.
It should backup with some resistance with the brakes (Lever) applied.

Quit It

Petty Officer 1st Class

4 pin and drum

I didn't test the runaway lever. I'm also curious about the hinged cover (?) in front of it - the brake fluid cover is touching it. It seems like it does something, but what?

Thanks

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You beat me to it Uncle Willie! Yes, he has a Titan-Dico Model 10. Very common actuator!

BTW, there's nothing under that "hinged cover", but the actuator's info is printed right on top of it.

Every possible bit of info you could want is on their website, including how to test the actuator, AND their tech folks and customer service is excellent!

Quit It

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks folks! I searched for images but most were electric and I couldn't find the hinged plate.

:( I didn't get a picture of the plate, but at least now I know how to test it.

Thanks

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks folks! I searched for images but most were electric and I couldn't find the hinged plate.

:( I didn't get a picture of the plate, but at least now I know how to test it.

Thanks

I have a Dico / Titan 10 on my trailer too. Easy coupler to rebuild, as I just did a complete overhaul on mine. That "hinged cover" isn't a hinged cover. It is the cover for the front load roller. Be sure to add some grease to the zerk fitting in the end of the bolt now and again to keep that roller lubed up..

When I bleed the brakes / test, I remove the breakaway lever (4 bolts) and use a bar down inside to actuate the Master Cyl. arm.

No need for a lockout on drum brakes. I converted mine to Kodiac Disc on both axles and had to add the reverse lockout solenoid.

Quit It

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a Dico / Titan 10 on my trailer too. Easy coupler to rebuild, as I just did a complete overhaul on mine. That "hinged cover" isn't a hinged cover. It is the cover for the front load roller. Be sure to add some grease to the zerk fitting in the end of the bolt now and again to keep that roller lubed up..

When I bleed the brakes / test, I remove the breakaway lever (4 bolts) and use a bar down inside to actuate the Master Cyl. arm.

No need for a lockout on drum brakes. I converted mine to Kodiac Disc on both axles and had to add the reverse lockout solenoid.
Thank you. I'm really glad that it's such a good, popular coupler.

KX6D

Seaman

You won't see many electric brakes on boat trailers...for obvious reasons. The hydraulic coupler is the way to go and this is a good coupler!

Dino - KX6D