Surge Brake Coupler Problem

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just got surge brakes mounted on my boat trailer - cost me $900! (Better of 2 bids.)

The second time I hitched up, I accidentally forgot to flip the tab up whilst lowering the coupler onto the ball. On my previous coupler, no problem - I'd just stick a big screwdriver up there and work it until I got the tang unstuck.

This new surge unit makes getting to the interior mechanics quite difficult. I was finally able to get the tang to give way, but it's never worked right, since. Sometimes, I can't get it to unhitch, and I have to bump the truck back & forth to get the coupler to unhitch. The lever on top doesn't really pop into the "up" position like it originally did.

Any suggestions?

Dave

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Surge Brake Coupler Problem

I just got surge brakes mounted on my boat trailer - cost me $900! (Better of 2 bids.)

The second time I hitched up, I accidentally forgot to flip the tab up whilst lowering the coupler onto the ball. On my previous coupler, no problem - I'd just stick a big screwdriver up there and work it until I got the tang unstuck.

This new surge unit makes getting to the interior mechanics quite difficult. I was finally able to get the tang to give way, but it's never worked right, since. Sometimes, I can't get it to unhitch, and I have to bump the truck back & forth to get the coupler to unhitch. The lever on top doesn't really pop into the "up" position like it originally did.

Any suggestions?

Dave

Take the couple apart my removing the large nut you will find underneath, holding the "tang" and check for a bend in the lever mechanism. If really bad, replacement is called for but it's likely just a slight bend that's hanging it up.