sunken houseboat

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: sunken houseboat

Since I own a houseboat, I guess I can throw out an opinion 'r two...

From the OP:
i have looked at older house boats and they go for about 10,000$...i am figuring i will have about 5 in it after restoration.

We bought our SkipperLiner in June of 2006. It's given us nearly flawless service in the past 7 seasons. But the time has come to freshen it up a bit, and we're planning (hoping?) to start the process around the end of July this year. Our boat needs nothing in the way of typical "restoration", but she does need the bottom sandblasted, repairs done if needed (none are evident but ya never know), then a full rustproofing and coal-tar repaint. Theres zero wrong with the engines but I want to pull them to check bearing wear and such, and to replace the risers. Need to pull the genny and fuel tanks out too, my starboard tank needs a hole fixed. And the engine room needs a facelift. The outdoor carpet on the main decks need to be replaced. The shade screens need to be replaced, the wife is going to attempt to make them herself with her new-to-her Juki sewing machine. The canopy on our party top needs to be replaced, we're going to try to make that ourselvesl too. The main 'box' was painted last year, but the flybridge still needs paint. Inside, we don't NEED new carpet but we'd like some new, we DO need to replace the ceiling tiles because of a few minor roof leaks over the years. Which brings me to re-sealing the roof, which I plan to do with roll-on 2-part EPDM rubber.

Then there's the trailer, but that's another story... ;)

This is just what I call "maintenance", with no engine or drive-train work needed other than risers. I'm estimating the bill for the above to be around $12,000, plus a whole bunch of our time. Considering I've had to do nearly nothing to this boat in the past 6-1/2 years, $12 grand is a bargain and not the least bit unexpected-- and she should be like brand new again.

I say all this just as a 'fair warning', and is just my opinion, but your $5 grand would be much better spent as a down payment on a working houseboat...

Bondo

Staff member

but with all this being said i really like the fact of finding something old and neglected and enjoying the fact that you brought it back to life...am i crazy for looking for such a thing along the lines of a boat...do fix'er uppers exist and and least be the same as you got in them...im not looking equity just something cheap and parts availibility and a manual...lol...

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... That's All doable,.... Just don't start out with the Titanic,...
a Lifeboat is plenty big enough to suit yer desires,...

If ya think a 'toon boat will do,... Search 'round,...
I see 'em often, with rotten wood, yet stable, 'n straight structures....

A 'toon with a decent sized motor is enough to teach the kids to ski, or tube, or whatever...

Yer families own portable floatin' island of pleasure...

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You might consider something smaller and more manageable/mobile. My houseboat (Big Duck) is 28 x 8, 40 years old - sleeps 7, powered by a 350 Volvo/Chevy. It's also a great camper.

IMAG1745.jpg

Here's a blog entry about getting Big Duck ready for a family outing at Lake Powell.
One More Time Around: Houseboat - 2,000 Miles to Lake Powell

chriscraft254

Commander

buellwinkle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This houseboat is way newer, way nicer, no wood rot, yet it no longer has value as a boat and will be dismantled for its raw metal value and it's only half sunk.

03ship0118-pg-horizontal.jpg

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, that works :cool:

rogerwa

Commander

Why not pursue a pontoon that needs a rebuild. There are endless options here from a price standpoint and you can use it while refurbing it. Just get the toons deck and motor in good shape. Then fill it out with the furniture as money permits.