Sunken boat incident

David Greer

Petty Officer 1st Class
First understand I am not calling anyone stupid b/c I don't know all the facts but this is where we post mishaps so others can learn, or scoff, or both.

Around 10:00 Saturday I fishing at the Hampton Roads Bridge Tinnel, which is inside the Chesapeake Bay. Several boats around. Looked back at one that seemed to be showing a lot of bow, as if coming off a plane, or leaning funny. I saw a lot of bottom paint. Then the bow went up at a 45, then straight up! It dropped like it was a missile launch in reverse. I guess it was about 25' boat, late model, good shape; I never saw the engine, I think it may have been a cuddy.

Another boat was right there and got the guys off of it; no one hurt. It drifted on out with the tide and about 4' of bow straight up. Later I talked to the owner (hollerin' to the marine patrol boat he was on) and he said he had a low stern, took a couple of waves and then down she went. Personally, I think he had to have water in the hull first--no plug, popped a sea ****, bad seal on a I/O, or something. It was calm and boat traffic light. Upon reflection and discussion with others, it is likely he had a stern anchor out: the tide was running and there was enough large boat traffic he could have caught a series from a yacht or tugboat. But no way a boat that big would have swamped if it was floating (mine didn't).

The guys on the boat all jumped onto another boat that saw what was happening. Sea tow came later and got it up and towed it away.

What was astounding was how fast it sank. There would have been no time, once the stern quarter was awash, to grab anything, like a life preserver, flashlight, radio, ditch bag, cell phone in a baggie, child in the cabin. Makes you think about being out there in the cold, dark, or alone. In nature, there are no rewards or punishments, just consequences.

For anyone who reads this and doesn't know, don't tie your anchor to the stern (back of the boat) even though it's easier to get to, unless you really know what you are doing. And don't "motor up" your anchor from the stern. Apparently it killed those football players in Florida earlier this year.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sunken boat incident

Makes a great case for the PFD does it not.

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

May be showing my ignorance or inexperience or whatever, but, I thought all boats had to have built-in floatation, like the foam under the deck in my four winns.

I'll not own an I/O. Too much to worry about. Blower fans, seals, too much other crap. I'll stick with outboards thanks.

jonesg

Admiral

What about soda bottles under the gunnels, foamed in place.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

re: flotation: I thought the same thing, but it went floating out to sea (despite anchor) with the hull straight up and about 3-4' of bow sticking up. Very little you could hang on to in a solo situation and you definitely could not get out of the water. And as I said, it looked like a newer boat, fiberglass. I'll see if I can get more info from the authorities.

A friend of mine lost a 26' Carolina Classic in the surf at Va Beach (it was stolen) and even though it swamped in shallow water, it was never found; USCG said it's sunk and off with the currents.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

level flotation foam is only required on boats 20' or less

Foam does not mean unsinkable. Most turtle

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

level flotation foam is only required on boats 20' or less

Foam does not mean unsinkable. Most turtle

Well I didn't mean unsinkable..........just not sinking that fast!! And I didn't about the 20' rule. hmmmmmm food for thought.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

What about soda bottles under the gunnels, foamed in place.

Hi guyz! I ben lurking around for a bit!

On the soda bottles idea....I don't know if its a great idea or not. I did that tho in the boat I'm fixing up. Haven't got it out on the water yet.

fishon13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just happy to here no one was hurt. I had a 22' 6" aqua sport in FL and saw more than one boat flip in the inlet. I would come in and out of Pompano and Deerfield. Once while I was coming in, the waves about 5' raising to at least 8' in the channel, we watched the guy in front of us flip, the boat was about a26' ceter consoul with 3 on board. I was to far to toss floatation and called it in. It was scary for us to turn around in those conditons Deerfeild is known to be a dangerous inlet. The marine patrol was watching the inlet and were there in less than a minute. Only two made it out, no life jakets on. The boat never sank and jut turtled. It took us another 45 minutes to get in while the rescue work was going on. We stoped and talked with the marine patrol to give our report, he told us it was the third boat to get into trouble in the inlet that day. By the way the guy in front of us was trying to come in under almost wot instead of just riding a wave in.

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not only that , I watched a program on TV and it showed a guys who forgot to pull up his stern anchor. It bounced around in his wake till it launched and stuck in the back of his skull. He survived.

P 0 P E Y E

Chief Petty Officer

All sorts of things can happen and go wrong. I see it a whole bunch.

Last year a 47 foot sailboat left our facility on November 1st and got about 5 miles out and called us for help.

The Seas were big and the winds high. All we had was a 17' whaler in the water. All our other boats were hauled and covered for the new England winter. and this guy needed a tow.

This guy needed a tow because he had his auto pilot on and did not know it. He was under sail, making way but could not move the steering wheel.
He called us on the cell phone but would lot listen to full sentences. I called the USCG it would have been too dangerous to send our whaler out in those conditions ant the distance he was at.

it took 2 USCG boats, two Police boats from different towns and a helicopter to get this guy into port....all over the auto pilot which was functioning normally and could have been used to steer the boat, or been just switched to off.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

All sorts of things can happen and go wrong. I see it a whole bunch.

Last year a 47 foot sailboat left our facility on November 1st and got about 5 miles out and called us for help.

The Seas were big and the winds high. All we had was a 17' whaler in the water. All our other boats were hauled and covered for the new England winter. and this guy needed a tow.

This guy needed a tow because he had his auto pilot on and did not know it. He was under sail, making way but could not move the steering wheel.
He called us on the cell phone but would lot listen to full sentences. I called the USCG it would have been too dangerous to send our whaler out in those conditions ant the distance he was at.

it took 2 USCG boats, two Police boats from different towns and a helicopter to get this guy into port....all over the auto pilot which was functioning normally and could have been used to steer the boat, or been just switched to off.

That reminded me of one of the items in a list of "squawks" posted on numerous internet sites. I've seen it attributed now to about six different national airforces and more than 10 airlines....don't know if it's actually true, but funny anyway....;)
Check #11.

Here are some actual maintenance complaints submitted by US Air Force pilots and the replies from the maintenance crews.
"Squawks" are problem listings that pilots generally leave for maintenance crews.
Problem: Left inside main tire almost needs replacement.
Solution: Almost replaced left inside main tire.

Problem: Test flight OK, except autoland very rough.
Solution: Autoland not installed on this aircraft.

Problem #1: #2 Propeller seeping prop fluid.
Solution #1: #2 Propeller seepage normal.
Problem #2: #1, #3, and #4 propellers lack normal seepage.

Problem: The autopilot doesn't.
Signed off: IT DOES NOW.

Problem: Something loose in cockpit.
Solution: Something tightened in cockpit.

Problem: Evidence of hydraulic leak on right main landing gear.
Solution: Evidence removed.

Problem: Number three engine missing.
Solution: Engine found on right wing after brief search.

Problem: DME volume unbelievably loud.
Solution: Volume set to more believable level.

Problem: dead bugs on windshield.
Solution: Live bugs on order.

Problem: Autopilot in altitude hold mode produces a 200 fpm descent.
Solution: Cannot reproduce problem on ground.

Problem: IFF inoperative.
Solution: IFF inoperative in OFF mode.

Problem: Friction locks cause throttle levers to stick.
Solution: That's what they're there for.