Sunbird boat worth it or not?

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer
There is a guy selling a 17 foot sunbird open bow boat. Said it has a 4.3. asking 5000.<br />I never heard of this boat. Looked it ou on NADA and it said boat no longer in production.<br />A friend of the family said to stay away from them but wouldnt specify why<br />Anyone<br />thanx<br />Rob

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sunbird boat worth it or not?

What year? Exact model? Merc, OMC, Volvo? Sunbirds stopped around 1998 so they are at least 8 years old.

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

ok this is what the ad reads<br /><br />1989 Sunbird<br />17 foot open bow 4.2L I/O Bimini top AM/FM/CD<br />Dual battery Seats 8 5,000$ OBO<br /><br />Anyone heard of this brand? I looked it up and there isnt a lot of info except the company is no longer in business. Is it worth that much? Seems kind of high in price for something thats 17 years old. he also said there isnt a hour meter but it has less than 300 hours. Im taking that with a grain of salt<br /><br /><br />thanx for any replies<br />Rob

Twidget

Commander

I had a '90 model Sunbird. It had an OMC Cobra outdrive. They arent made any more, parts/service may be problematic.<br /><br />Sunbird was not the best made boat. They were an entry level product. As with anything that age, it is how well it was maintained. You probably could find a better deal. Just my $.02.

Bondo

Staff member

$5000.00,...??......!!!!<br /><br />That's about 3 Times what an 89 Sunbird is worth............<br /><br />Especially This time of Year.........

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had a 20' Sunbird circa 1989. It was my second boat and I didn't know what to look for. It was all shiny and had nice upholstery, but after a couple of years I began to realize how poorly it was built. It didn't even sit in the water level and bilge water backed up into the cabin through the floor drain.

boiler47

Recruit

I currently own a 1997 Sunbird Neptune 201 (19.5ft) which is their salt water outboard(150hp Johnson) bow rider. We bought the boat new and so far have not had any major problems. Overall we have enjoyed the boat both in salt water fishing and on a fresh water lake for recreation (sking and cruising). The price is high for that size and year boat.

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

Well I was gonna go look at it this weekend. But I called a few boat repair places and they all pretty much said the same thing. Price was way too high for the boat for what it is<br /><br />ROb<br /><br />Thanx to all who answered

imported_bjs

Petty Officer 1st Class

thats to many american dollars.rember you will be the one spending money on the boat.