Sudden Cutout, No spark. Suggestions to HELP!

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I just got back from the lake. I have a 1981 Johnson 60 HP. I ahve had this boat for 5 years or so. Been trouble free for almost 4 years. When i got it it had an intermittant cut out problem (different from current one). I found a rotted wire harnes. I replaced it a cracked coil and the other just to put new ones on it. The power pack was the problem back then. No problems since untill today.

On the lake we were crusing and has a stumble then fine 5 mins latter a few more stumbles then a sudden cutout. Tried cranking and nothing. I dont have a spark on either cylinder checked with a spark tester light and on the water with the old screwdriver method.

I still have the old powerpack that was intermitantly bad. It seemed that when it heated up it totally failed and if it cooled it was fine. So i bolted it up and no spark at all from it. Now its possible that it now totally dont work but its problem was say 5-20 mins of running it would all of a sudden cutout then you would sit for 5 mins and it would start up again, never a problem cold so i think it would at least fire.

I have diconnected the main harness and jumped the starter so that if the kill wire was shorted that would rule that out, but nothing.

Any suggestions of what to check and where to test. Everything except the stator on this motor has been replaced with less than 40 hours or so on it.

-Nate

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sudden Cutout, No spark. Suggestions to HELP!

Search here on the forum for stator testing procedure, if you can't find it then let me know.

Start there and work your way down.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Went to CDI's site and looked up the tests for electrical components. My trigger sested out at 40 ohms the spec is 15-15 ohms. The charge coil i got 400 ohms and spec is 450-550 ohms. According to the spec im out, but will this cause my problems, as im out of spec. I think its only what a few percent low i would not think this would keep it from fireing weaker spark maybe? And ohms are resistance so low would be better than to high right?

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Will a stator keep me from running? Everytime i have checked my stator the motor is running? I will search though.

Sixmark

you may be able to get by with just changing out the charge coil. A bad stator will most definately keep a motor from running.

emoney

Commander

A bad stator can cause no spark.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Can you list the test procedure for an unrunning motor for the stator. I know how to test between the yellow wire when running to see if its bad.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Followed the test procedure found here http://www.cdielectronics.com/Portals/0/installsheet/173-1651.pdf Which stated if no spark check resistance. I have done that and posted the results a few posts up. I also disconected the main wire harness and tried jumping it at the starter, still no spark so kill switch is good. Went to disconnect the rectifier. I did that and hooked the powerpack back up (the one that was on today). It started, i then rehooked the rectifier back up to test and it still started. I tested volts across the various yellow wires and never got higher than 20 volts at high idle. Anyone know the specs on this now that its running?

This is almost worse than a running motor, dont know what is solved cause its intermitant.

Sixmark

I'll dig through my papers here for the step by step procedure on it, but it may not be til the end of the weekend til I find themI have about 7 projects I'm stuck with at the moment

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Cool, thanks. This is frustrating. From the link i posted im thinking that i my stator is good. Only one is out of spec and not by much percentage when you think about it. The other running test they show seems near impossible to do. You need to have the wires stripped and have the hood of kneeling beside it while someone is running it up to speed?

Sixmark

Here is the skinny on electronics, the operational specs are there for a reason, and many people like to think that if a part is "close" to being within spec that it will be ok.......the problem is that you may get erratic performance or intermittent problems, thus the reason for the acceptable range of operation.