Stupid shore power question

Jamie 10017

Seaman
Im in the process of rewiring my boat it had 1- 30 amp shore power inlet , I will be installing a 220 volt breaker panel because of some of the upgrades are 220 volt. My question is what is the most common inlet plugs on the shore power connectors, is it 2- 30amp inlets or 2- 50 amp inlets..( the plug in the boat part) LOL Thanks , and dont laugh to hard at me I just want to make sure I do this right Ive never owned a boat with shore power before. Jamie

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stupid shore power question

What you need for inlet power depends on what the panel is rated for. 220 volts is just one of the considerations. Putting a 50 A service x2 into a panel rated for 30 A x2 is overkill and unnecessary. Conversely if you have a 50 A x2 panel then it would be proper to install a 50A x2 service entrance.

sasto

Captain

I use a 50amp... 220v cord...split.

Personally, I have never seen 220V , 30A. at a dock.

Hire a pro..Jamie.... or hang in here and follow Sivlertip's advice.:cool:

Jamie 10017

Seaman

That's one of the reasons I asked the question cause I havent bought a panel yet. I know it all depends on what is the electrical needs of the boat as to what panel I need. I was just wondering what is the most common, I would rather have a little more panel than what I really need than to need more than what I have. I have never owed a boat that has shore power so I really dont know what is common at a dock as far as the hook up goes. I just want to get a game plan on what I need to be looking for. But I dont want to go cazy with a huge panel that as silvertip stated would be overkill. Im just getting ideas on which way I need to go. Thanks Jamie
i

sasto

Captain

Hi Jamie,

Figure out your power requirements as far as amps go. Check out the breaker requirements on each system. A single 50A will supply the 220V you neeed...at 50A. It will require 2X30A to achieve 220V.

I would check out the marina/marinas you plan on staying at and see what they have available. I've always used 50A service. Sometimes 1 cord...sometimes 2 cords, depending on what I'm running. I use a selector switch to draw off 1 cord or 2.

What are you adding that requires 220V? Range, waasher dryer?

Jamie 10017

Seaman

I will be adding a range and looking at some of the a/c units are 220 Thanks for the reply Jamie

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Do you have the power you need at your dock? Do you have a generator to run all this 220V service out on the water or at docks you may visit? 30A 120V is very common, 50A 220 is not.