Stupid questions

johnbottsr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Stupid questions

Pull your plugs and rotate your prop while pulling down on the lower unit. That little pin at the top of the drive shaft will find the right alignment to drop and allow the loser unit to drop more. Rick.

WINNER!
I knew that pin was there and it never occurred to me to pull the spark plugs to make it easier to spin.
Well I got the LU off and now can sleep well.

Thanks Rick!

johnbottsr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well back at it and I see I need to remove the dowel pin at the top of the drive shaft to get the water pump housing off.
Any tricks for this? I have read where a few folks have broke them and would like to avoid.

Willyclay

Captain

You probably already know that it is a "roll-pin" and will not take much abuse. After 40 years in that hostile environment, it is unlikely that it can be removed intact and be reuseable. The OEM part is available from BRP, so finding a replacement should be easy. Good luck!

johnbottsr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You probably already know that it is a "roll-pin" and will not take much abuse. After 40 years in that hostile environment, it is unlikely that it can be removed intact and be reuseable. The OEM part is available from BRP, so finding a replacement should be easy. Good luck!

Yes, roll pin.
I blame my failing eyes for that mistake.
I got a proper punch and was able to salvage it. I think the impeller was in pretty good shape after all. Still pliable and the plate had minimal wear. I changed it anyway.

I just ran it in a bucket with water about halfway up the extension (it is a long shaft) and got some water spitting out of the exhaust ports along with some tan foam that frightens me.
Not as much water as I had hoped and that foam would scream bad head gasket on a car's oil dipstick. Not sure if I should even submerge it more and see what happens because I am certainly to where it would run in normal operation. I did try it with the muffs on and submerged with the same result. Now I am pondering adding a tell-tale just to ease my mind.

Not sure if I didn't get the copper tube aligned right even though I took my time and was pretty certain it was good last night.

johnbottsr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, lesson learned.
Went out and pulled the lower unit off again.
This time, pulled the copper tube out of the LU and installed it in the top end first (just like the Johnson Link said too if I WOULD HAVE READ WHAT I WAS LOOKING AT).
Pumps water like a champ now and stays cool.

This should be a three beer job next time at most.

Willyclay

Captain

I did try it with the muffs on .....

Muffs will not work on that motor. It requires a very different looking adapter that clamps over the water pickup tube below the AVP. That said, I was happy to read you successfully resolved the problem. Attaboy!