Stupid Question: How to use harmonic balancer puller?

atticus3600s

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am going to remove the flywheel from a 1968 Johnson 6hp and I will be borrowing a harmonic balancer puller from Autozone.
First, how the heck do I use a harmonic balancer puller?
Second what size bolts do I need? (They will be grade 8).

Thanks guys.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stupid Question: How to use harmonic balancer puller?

Not a stupid question. Or if it is, there are a lot of stupid people out there that can't figure it out either.

Back off the center puller bolt most of the way, then measure the length of the bolts you will need to go through the puller arms and into the flywheel. Include washers under the bolt heads.

Bolts should thread into the flywheel 7/16", no more and no less.

Bolts thread is 1/4-20

Assemble the whole thing and tighten the center puller bolt tight as heck. Don't be afraid to reef down on it. The flywheel will pop off when you exert enough force, and will not pop off till you do.

If you do not know how to reinstall the flywheel, check back here. That is more important to do right than getting it off.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Make sure the harmonic balancer puller is flat side up or the bolts will bend.
Bolts are 1/4-20, either 2" or 2 1/2 ". Use some thick washers under them, since the bolts are a little undersized for the puller's slots.

I just pulled the flywheel of my 6 a couple of weeks ago using the same Autozone puller.

You might have to get a strap wrench to hold the flywheel. I use an old leather belt or nylon strap wrapped around the flywheel. Some use an impact wrench, but I don't own one.

piggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Locate three threaded holes on top of flywheel around nut on end of crankshaft. Take nut off crankshaft. Place big threaded bolt on top of crankshaft (point on end of threaded bolt in hole in end of crankshaft) Some hole or slot on balancer will line up with holes on top of flywheel ( three of them) Use grade 8 bolts with thick washers on them down thru slots and thread into flywheel about 1/2 inch ( far enough so you don't strip threads but don't bottom out and damage stuff under wheel) Than tighten big threaded bolt you will need some way to hold flywheel (strap wrench or bar). After bolt is tight if flywheel doesn't pop off tap on top of large threaded bolt with hammer. This is not a good thing to do ( possible damage to crankshaft) but everybody does it. Also use something like WD/40. Sometimes it helps to set over night. Hope this is clear. lot of luck.

atticus3600s

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys, Ill probably get to it today or tomorrow.
I plan on ordering a Tune-up kit and new coils.
The motor seems to lack power and Im pretty sure its a spark problem so hopefully this will fix it :D

bigpoppakdog

Chief Petty Officer

Hey, theres no such thing as a stupid question. Just stupid people that ask questions. I couldn't resist an ESPN moment. :)

Looking back at my beginning posts I am so grateful for this forum. Only thing that would be nice is to be able to see a pict or have a little more info about some of these great people that help out us folks.:) When somebody gives you so much assistance you kinda bond with those people and it would be nice to be able to have a little info on who helped you out.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Some say I look like Brad Pitt
But I'm slightly poorer, balder, fatter, shorter and older than he is.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

A minor point that you may already be aware of - the three, threaded holes, into which the puller bolts are inserted, are located under a cover plate on the flywheel. Remove the crankshaft nut first, lift the cover up, and you will see them.

Seemingly a silly point to make, I agree, but I have had more than one person ask me where the bolts go, before they began the project.

atticus3600s

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A minor point that you may already be aware of - the three, threaded holes, into which the puller bolts are inserted, are located under a cover plate on the flywheel. Remove the crankshaft nut first, lift the cover up, and you will see them.

Seemingly a silly point to make, I agree, but I have had more than one person ask me where the bolts go, before they began the project.

I am aware that they are there but thank you for your attentiveness and thoroughness.