stuck in gravel/ now weak telltale from 40 hp evinrude

quantico

Cadet
I have been boating for several decades and did something unique today. I was running my 21 foot pontoon boat on the milwaukee river where I live and managed to get stuck while going slow over a very shallow gravel bar composed of small gravel. I had the engine tiled up but still getting good water and ran the engine hard in forward and reverse a few times to get unstuck. I pulled to a new spot and noticed little to no telltale coming from my 40 hp evinrude. I shut the engine off and raised ti up to look over the prop and skeg. There were a few rough edges , but nothing horrible. I then restarted and had a strong telltale and headed for deeper water at about 15 mph and after a few minutes noticed a different sound from the outboard. I noticed little water coming out and limped about three miles back to my dock. A steady few drips to crummy light stream was there but not the usual hard stream of water that I have come to expect.
The engine is mid to late 80's and had been gone over by an excellent shop that replaced the impeller and themostat two years ago. they also replaced many seals at the same time. the bill was 1200 dollars and the outboard has been running great since then.

I have not yet changed out an impeller myself, and currently do not have the use of a trailer to pull the boat out of the water and mess with it on land at this time. The water coming out is cool, but not very much.

What would you do while the boat is in the water ?? do you think I just got some junk in the telltale ???? or maybe clogged up the impeller ??? is that that easy to do ??? I have a cheap pressure washer and a hose clamp to run the outboard out of water. should I try just spraying everything out ??? Thanks for your help. I have fixed some big problems on boats, but not anything like this so far. thanks

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: stuck in gravel/ now weak telltale from 40 hp evinrude

When in doubt, change it out.

I would rent/borrow a trailer, and service the cooling system before running again. You wont know what is going on until you inspect. Pull the lower unit, inspect the water intake area for debris, pull the pump and inspect the impeller and housing, and replace as needed. Although, after 2 years, and if I had the lower dropped anyways, I would simply replace the impeller no matter what myself. Also while you have the lower down, flush the garden hose or compressed air up and down the water line, ensuring it is free of debris. Also remove the tell tale line and nipple, flushing them and cleaning as needed.

I would take the money that you would pay a shop, and invest in an OEM service manual, along with a trailer if that is feasible for you to do so. The following may help as well.

http://www.meegsonline.com/tmd/waterpump.wmv

www.themarinedoctor.com/videos/removecase.wmv

www.themarinedoctor.com/waterpump.wmv

Let us know what you find.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

totally agree.

quantico

Cadet

I will see if I can find a trailer..... and maybe find a manual. I am on a ten day vacation and want to get on the boat a bunch this week. I will try to spray out the water system today and see what I can do. The river the boat is on gets lowered by opening a dam in 8 weeks , so I was looking for a quick on the water solution. The water is quite turbid, so you can't see more than a foot or 18 inches in the water... so I really don't want to try to pull apart the lower on the water.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Im sorry, but there is no quick solution here.

Trying to drop the lower unit while submerged? Sorry, but near impossible. lol

I have a hard enough time swapping props underwater :)