stuck in forward gear

FishHog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
finally good weather, put the boat in the water and I'm stuck in forward gear. Had the outdrive off this winter, but everything went back together fine and seems fine. I'm pulling the outdrive right now, but any ideas. Fishing trip planned for the morning with the crew, so I'm hoping I can figure this out fast.

1999 Alpha 1, gen II

I've pulled and replace the outdrive lots of times, didn't mess with anything so I'm stumped why I'm having an issue.

thanks,

FishHog

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: stuck in forward gear

Sounds like the cable missed when putting the drive back on.

Look under the drive and see if the shift shafts are together right.

FishHog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don, thanks very much. that was my first thought also, but they looked fine. Drive was hard to separate for some reason, but its off and all looks fine. Not sure what else to do but to put it back on and try again.

I'm baffled and trying to keep my cool, so I don't screw something else up rushing.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I'm stuck in forward gear....... Had the outdrive off this winter.......... but any ideas.
thanks,

Sure do. Only about two things can go wrong with the gen II, and one of them would leave you stuck in reverse. Please don't be offended but check to make sure that it is stuck in Forward. Rotate the prop COUNTERCLOCKWISE, if it locks you are in F. If you are in F and the control handle moves freely back and forth, then it is likely that the roller on the underside of the upper shift shaft lever has slipped from between the two arms on the shift slide. Reposition it so the roller is between the arms and you should be OK.

FishHog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well, it looks like that's all it was. I think I'm good, just reassembling and will test. Looks like a fishing trip was saved. I hope.

Really appreciate the fast assistance guys.

FishHog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

all good, don't know how I did that the first time I put the drive back on, but I'm good to go.

thanks again.