STRIPPED trim tab bolt HELP!!

merc150

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I planned on pulling my lower unit off today to check the water pump on my 2003 merc 150 and ended up rounding off the head of the trim tab bolt. Any other way to get the bolt out besides drilling it? And where can I get another bolt? anyone else run into this problem? Any help is very appreciated!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you are refering to the bolt holding the trim tab in place to get access to the bolt underneath?

the bolt is a stainless steel bolt that you can find at most ace hardware, west marine, etc.

the 18-8 stainless is soft, hence the reason it rounded off. drilling is your best option.

did it round off because its seized tight or was it the wrong size socket. If it stripped with out much force then consider a bolt easy-out I think they are made by kobalt and are sold in lowes or home-depo. They grip the out side of the bolt and have teeth that cut into the bolt as they are turned.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
You could also try a metric socket on it that you would have to drive on the bolt head.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Harbor Freight sells socket sets that are made to grip rounded bolt heads. Try that first, drill second.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, drill a few holes in the zinc anode and break it off the stainless steel bolt. The zinc is pretty soft. A dremel cutting wheel is another way to attack it. Then drop the gearcase and buy a new anode and bolt.

merc150

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for all the replies!! Ill give the left hand drill bits if that doesnt work Ill go grab a easy out and try that. I think the bolt just got rounded off from water pump changes every year. Seems like a cheap metal. Does anyone know where I can buy the small round plastic cap that covers that bolt? I have looked all over the internet and havent found one. THANKS