stripped the sparkplug threads - help

glennrow

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i have a 1978 johnson 25hp outboard. while getting ready to launch for the spring, i was going to put in new plugs. i ended up putting the lower one in crooked and have stripped the threads. other then taking it to the repair shop - what can i do to fix it. any help is greatly appreciated.

Rudy Brown

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: stripped the sparkplug threads - help

You'll have to pull the head and heli-coil it. Not that big of a deal. You can get heli-coil kits at auto parts stores. They'll run about $20-$40 a kit. Or you can take it to a machine shop to heli-coil it. Once its done, the threads will be stronger than before.

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Depending on how bad the threads are buggered up, you might be able to go to the parts store and get a sparkplug tap. If you use a tap make sure you put grease on it to catch any shavings. Good luck!

glennrow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks fellas. local shop says they can get it done within a day and for less then $50. i was really hoping for "its so easy a caveman can do it "

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

thanks fellas. local shop says they can get it done within a day and for less then $50. i was really hoping for "its so easy a caveman can do it "

I resemble that remark!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Helicoil insert will sort you out ....but take the head off first so you do not run the risk of getting any shavings where you do not want them. If it is an insert adaptor you put in and not a spring like looking coil then make certain you have a spare one in case you are out on the lake with a bad plug in the repaired cylinder and the insert comes out stuck fast to the spark plug. You can then simply put the spare insert on a spare "known working" plug.