Stringer upper gearcase leak

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1974 OMC 190 HP Stringer outdrive that's leaking oil. When I removed the impeller assembly, I noticed the top of the housing was bent and cracked, and the oil seal in the bearing assembly was crooked as well. I think I found my leak, but how did that happen? The pinion bearing moves freely. There is a standard type oil seal (That was crooked) and an additional seal of some sort that pushed further up the shaft. That seal seems to be fine, but not sure what all I should replace and or why it happened. Any insight would be appreciated.

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
those are back to back seals , you are talking about the ones right behind the ball gear right ?

if that input shaft was bent I cant imagine how the gears would not be toast , were there any metal fragments in the oil ?

Redrig

How did you store the outdrive over the winter ? In the up or down position? Cuz that impeller housing being bent or cracked is usually what happens when the outdrive is tilted all the up over the winter . Water gets trapped

kenny nunez

Captain
You need to closely inspect the surface of the shaft where the seals are located. The lower part of the shaft has a chrome ring that is bonded to the shaft. Sometimes the chrome starts to peal off then the seals get trashed. The proper way to install the seals is with a plastic guide that lets the seal slide over the shaft without flipping the seal lip. It is possible to get the seal over the shaft with a thin screwdriver with some patience. Getting the seals “square” without the OMC installing tool can also be done with some large flat washers and a suitable hammer.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the responses, sorry I didn't get back to you, I was gone for business. The drive was stored down, the shaft is straight as can be, and nothing appears to be worn. I had it "professionally" re-sealed by a local boat mechanic less than 3 years ago, but this isn't the first issue I've had since I got it back, so not 100% on the quality of work performed. I ordered a complete re-seal kit from sierra, and a new impeller w/housing. I plan on installing everything myself this time. I've only got one shot at it this weekend. My wife and I's anniversary boat trip is next weekend. Gotta get it right, so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
those are back to back seals , you are talking about the ones right behind the ball gear right ?

if that input shaft was bent I cant imagine how the gears would not be toast , were there any metal fragments in the oil ?

No fragments, and I'm talking about the lower shaft that drives the impeller in the upper gearcase.

froggy1150

Make sure your bearings and things are where they go before installing lip seals.....
don't ask me how I know:facepalm:

froggy1150

Yeah I was cursing up a storm cuz I was taking my time and so happy with how well the seals went in nice and straight and went to put one of the shafts in and realized I shafted myself. One seal kit later for 2 seals...... but I also didn't have a hard deadline either

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
So the project got bigger...:mad-new::chargrined::disturbed::confusion: So I was happily installing all new seals, then something caught my eye. There is about a three inch crack in the upper gearcase housing. It's obvious to me now, that water got in there during my last outing last year, and froze. All the damage is pushing away from the internals. I found a bone yard that'll sell me the shell for $100, but it's a 3 1/2 hour drive. Well worth it after getting pricing online I guess. Gotta love keeping the 'ol boats alive!