Stringer & Transom rebuild Help!!

mtduckhunter

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok guys, i need help. im about to start rebuilding the stringers and transom on my 1972 15' monark. i have alot of questions.

should i remove the top cap to rebuild the transom? it looks like it would make it much easier.

if so, how do i go about removing it? is it hard to put back on?

this hull has severe hook, and it drives me crazy when i run wide open and there is a 4 foot wall of water on both sides of the boat and it starts at the bow! so, i am going to TRY to fix this by replacing the stringers. im going to use pressure treated ply that i will let dry. anything else i should do?

and also, should i take the boat off of the trailer and block it up? or build a cradle for it?

any help would be greatly appreciated. i will post pics when i get the deck out.

D

DJ

Re: Stringer & Transom rebuild Help!!

It looks like your boat is f-glass. Yes. remove the "deck" or top cap. Before you do so, make absolutely sure that the boat is resting on a level surface, eg. trailer. Rebolting a deck to a crooked hull leads to other issues.

Once removed it will expose the transom that you can work with. You should be able to slide new wood into the transom cavity. There are plenty of posts, on this forum, regarding building a new transom. In short, use good plywood and encase it in lots of fiberglass and resin.

This is not easy. It takes patience and a lot of itchy f-glass work.

You're in for about $500.00 worth of wood, glass, resin, etc. Minimum.

mtduckhunter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Stringer & Transom rebuild Help!!

thanks DJ! yea the boat is fiberglass.

mtduckhunter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Stringer & Transom rebuild with pics!

Re: Stringer & Transom rebuild with pics!

i got started today! got the top cap removed, which was easier than i thought, and got the inner skin of the transom cut off.

69b6357607d1.jpg

1fdfce5046fc.jpg

this transom was holding a 70 hp!! im suprized it held up!

sorry if the pics arent clear, cell phones dont take the best pics, i left my camera card at my buddies house.

more pics to come.

Last edited: