Stringer Tilt Issue

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Stringer Tilt Issue

26ft-
My outdrive is real heavy I guess. It flies down and will slam into place. I am learning how to bump it. That may have been the demise of my end cap.
I don't think it dead stops when I bump it, it does have an awfull lot of momentum.

That is most likely the reason you 'popped your cap'. I have heard of the same thing happening from other people. You were lucky your worm gear didn't get launched as well! :eek:

As the drive slams down and you have good friction on your clutch plates, that force is transfered through the worm gear and puts pressure on the retaining cap. I have the same cap on mine (held in by a cir-clip) and when I first got it was told to be careful in not letting the drive slam down. The other style you mentioned (held on with 3 bolts) is stronger, but you should still be careful in lowering the drive. Glad you got her fixed!

fabrimacator21: Sounds like you may be getting some binding of the clutch assy. and possibly some corrosion of the clutch pack not allowing it to slip when stood on or drug up a ramp! Disassemble the clutch pack, give each side of each clutch plate a LIGHT going over with some fine grit (180+) sandpaper and soak them 12-24 hours in motor oil and clean the shims with some fine steel wool then re-assemble. Again, be careful not to over-tighten the cover plate or it will bind the clutch pack. Using 2 gaskets will help prevent this.

cr2k

Captain

Here are some things on the OMC stringer tilt mech.
ALL of the little plastic bushings and washers are necessary for proper operation. If the snap ring on the clutch pack breaks what you describe will happen as there will be no pressure on the clutch pack.

Water in the housing is normal - get used to it - crap design and almost impossible to seal.

Check it often, drain and refill with oil.

Biggest problem with water in housing is it displaces the oil up the shaft and in to the motor. Once in the motor the oil softens the lacquer insulation on the motor windings and they short out.

I read you were going to re seal with new o=ring and gasket. There are 2 back to back seals behind the spur gear that drives the quandrant. Outer one to keep water out, inner one to keep oil in.

If worm gear and associated parts are still in tact and place it is not the problem. The worm gear locks the drive. It would have to be the clutch pack or you lost the spur gear.

Tilt at last. Tilt at last. Thank god almighty we got tilt at last. Just put in new tilt motor and it is working great. It goes down with alot of force need to bump it down, up is a little slower but it works. I thank you all for the good stuff I picked up and hope you all resolved your issue.

-Mike-