stringer rot

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 21 ft Sea Ray cuddy. Can I cut out bad section of stringer and replace with wood? Or do I have to do the whole thing? How about drilling holes and injecting epoxy? This is my first boat.<br />Runs well, 260 mercruiser, had it on the gulf of mexico in the big waves two days after Hurricane Ivan came through and it seemed to take it very well. If the fiberglass covering the stringer is still in decent shape, do I need to worry? It started when the seat started going through the floor, and when I went to replace the top plywood, found out it was worse than I thought. Ive been an auto mechanic for 25 years so im prettyt good fixing things, I just need to research the proper materials and practices to use and such.

chumbucket

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: stringer rot

Jimmy, For starter's go to WWW.rot doctor and punch in stringer's. It will give you some info to start with.

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class

ive looked over these message boards and am still wondering if the boat will simply cave in if i remove the floor while its on the trailer, or if i need to be overly worried that the actual wood is rotted and the fiberglass covering the wood is still ok, or if i should just tear everything out and start over, or just cover it all up with new plywood and sell it to someonr that has more time to fix it right. I only paid 3000.00 for the boat its got 796 hours on a mercruser 350/ 260 hp and am wondering if its worth it to repair

wallbanger2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You shouldn't have to worry about the boat caving in, almost all of the floor repairs I've seen in here where done while on the trailer at some point whithout the floor installed. <br />concerning your question on if you should fix it or sell it, take a look at some of the boats that have been done on here and decide if it's worth it to you to fix or not. Even if you sell it and buy another boat, you may end up buying a boat thats in the same or worse condition as the one you have.<br />If it where me, I'd keep the boat and fix it myself. You already have $3000 invested in this one with no idea how much you could get back by selling it. <br />Thats just my opinion though. The final decision is up to you.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

You can cut out the bad and scab in new material, or you can gut it and put all new material in. If it were me (and it was at one time), I would fix it. Repairing it yourself will be much, much less expensive than buying a new boat and you'll know the condition of the boat. You could easily sell it and end up with another waterlogged mess. If you like this boat and it does everything you need it to, then fixing it will be your best option. Good luck...

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class

ive decided to fix it, i have a bunch of pics i will post as soon as i can. Also im hoping that i will be decreasing a bunch of weight, i have a 15-15 prop on it now, and it wasnt that fast but did come up on plane very well, maybe a bigger prop will be in order after its done? It revs at about 5200-5700 at WOT, Also above the floor line was thinking of using Starboard (plastic) instead of wood. And am going to try building a smaller engine cover and having no sundeck over the engine, so I can use it better for fishing. I like the boat, just the right size for now, and i kinda like the work im doing to it so far, maybe leading upto a carrer change. I live where there is alot of boat builders and i am getting sick of working on cars.

tgkBarney

Seaman Apprentice

I had to strip my boat down to the bare hull and replace all the stringers and floor- obviously someone used the boat for a birdbath for many years!<br /><br />I did the work while it was on the trailer- had no problem with the sides caving in, however once you take the top shell off, the sides offer no support and you must be careful not to put any weight on them!

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer

If you are going to remove the stringer system,put the boat on a cradle to give it support.That way the bottom of the boat will keep its true.Been there,did that.Alot of work,just think out all that goes in the hole before you start rebuilding it.As in pumps,hoses,wires and steering.

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class

i am not sure if i found any stringers, what do they look like? do they go all the way to the bow from the stern?? i took the floor out and there was only 3\4 plywood from where the engine is to the bow.

memaw777

Seaman Apprentice

5200 rpm is way to high for that motor its rated at 4600 tops

qaztwo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey jimmy, I also found that on my searay. As far as I could tell the stringers where there to support the floor. When I removed my floor there was no wood, and I simply went off of the glue to tell the lay out and the width of the stringers. Mine started at the bulkhead infront of the engine and ran maybe 12 feet up. They stopped about 5 to six feet from the bow. I do not have a cuddy though so maybe on yours they run the full lenght. Also mine where put in at a slight angle. In back they are 20 inches apart and in the front they are 24 inches apart. Where is the rot in your stringer that you want to cut out. Also what year is your boat.

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class

its a 1985 210 cuddy cruiser, i have already removed EVERYTHING from under the helm seat, and on the port side i have removed the front portion and found that the original plywood had been spliced that is where i have stopped. it seems to be pretty dry from that point back.

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class

ive seen the pics of your boat, did you doo all this on the trailer?

qaztwo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, I done all the work with the boat on the trailer. I have also placed concert blocks around the hull for support. I used the blocks because my trailer is not the best in the world. It has rollers and the frame does not go all the way out to the wheel wells very narrow, why they ever made trailers like this I do not know. This makes the boat rock alot when your in it beating and pulling on things. Also I left the bow shell on and also I have fiberglass shelf where your cuddy is that holds my fuel tank. You mentioned early that your stringers where glassed over, mine didn't even have that. I would simply check the rest of the stingers with some drill holes if all good, cut out old and glue in new. Over lap the new glass onto the old glass.<br />Good luck.

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer

Good deal.When you cut the old ones and sand them up some,clean them with a little acetone on a rag.Use rubber gloves,with ventalation.

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class

also i left about 2 1/2 inches of fiberglass and old floor still attached to the hull, my thought was i could dig out the old floor from under the glass where it attches to the hull and then when i put the new floor in i could slip it under the old glass and then screw through the old glass to the new floor. Then glass over the screws and everything else. what are your thoughts? other wise what other reason is ther to leave a liitle around the edges? Or should I just grind it all smooth and start over completely?

gutshot grouper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I tore out the floor, stringers and transom in an old boat, i left a couple of inches of floor around the perimeter to set the new floor on,, clear fir works well for stringers, but is expensive, epoxy is much better adhesive than polyester, costing about twice as much,, double sided glass tape which is folded and sewn together is good for glassing in structural members , cheap factory boats,, ie. "carpet craft "often just use two layers of plywood for stringers which will not stand being wet for long without rotting,, good luch,, Gutshot in raleigh

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class

this boat only had 1 peice of 3/4 plywood used as stringers, 26 inches tall glued to where the chise in the hull are. Inside to boat, the chines are about 2 inches wide, should i use dimensional lumber as stingers and the fasten the plywood flooring to those? i would think a 2x8 or 2x10 would be stronger than 1 piece of plywood right next to the hull, and then build the floor off those thanks jimmy

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class

i said f___k it and tore out all the wood i could find from inside the boat, there was no keel stinger at all, i was thinking that i could get some pvc pipe and drill a bunch of holes in it and glue to the bottom of the v inside the boat and use that to drain any water that may find itself in there to the bilges. I will probly be getting a new boat in a couple years, however, I think like jasonj and wish to over build and over think everything, i have never owned much less work on any kind of boat before, but I am pretty confident that i can rebuild this thing 100 times better than the factory could. I just want the best, like everything I do I take pride in my work and want it to last forever. I think if I treat all the wood with CPES, screw all the boards tight and triple glass everything in with cross hatched fiberglass and good epoxy resin it probly will. Originally in the bottom of the V inside the hull there was no way of any water to drain out.