stringer mess up help please

Malibud

Seaman Apprentice
Ok I just got my fluids changed and was backing up and went too far and hit the rudder into the wall. the wall gave way and things seemed fine. Now there is oil leaking from the pin hole beside the water pick up. Any ideas what it could be ? Have really broke something ? Is it fixable ? or could there be too much oil in there to begin with ? thanks
85 stringer 350

chiefalen

Captain
Re: stringer mess up help please

Let me get it straight you changed the outdrive oil with the drive all the way down, and raised it and backed into a wall with the skeg hitting the wall?

Malibud

Seaman Apprentice

no the shop changed the oil. I backed in the wall as I was putting the boat into a shelter. the leak is pretty constant out of that little hole

lmannyr

Master Chief Petty Officer

Just to rule out the obvious:

1. Was it leaking prior to the hit? (recent work right?)
2. Are there any housing cracks? How about around the upper and lower mating areas?

Hope you find your leak soon.

chiefalen

Captain

What did you hit the skeg or the prop shaft??????

Malibud

Seaman Apprentice

I must of hit the skeg, the lower end was up because I was towing. I don't know if it was leaking prior to this. I don't really understand where it could be leaking from inside. but oil is coming from two pin holes around the water intake .
thanks

chiefalen

Captain

Usually when all 3 parts of the drive are drained and the drive is down oil will leak there cause it falls down into the exhaust.

Want peace of mind, do a leak test bye adding air to the vent plug and see if oil comes shooting out, no more than 5-10 pounds of air.

Remember the vent plug, with the oil in. See how long the air stays in, and post the result.

You could do it to the upper also.

Heres a link, and the tool is sold on ebay for like 30 bucks good to have and test the drive for leaks every couple of years.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=255152

Malibud

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the help so I want to pressure test on the top plug (2nd from bottom) correct?
dc

chiefalen

Captain

Yes, and if you do the upper the second one also on the upper.

Careful 5-10 psi don't go blowing the seals.