Stringer Material

PeteyD

Seaman Apprentice
Whats the better material for stringers? on my boat the stringers are actually smaller maybe 2 inch by 1 inch, ive seen Arauco ply but wanted to know of any others? Thanks.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stringer Material

What do you mean by "better"?

Better can be many different things, but what it comes down to is how good of a job you do with the products you end up using.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

If I understand you correctly..you dont really have stringers but floor supports.

Its really how you glass them in at this point I would think.

I would imagine that you could use anything you want to in this case.

Are they glassed in or just bedded down with putty and floor over it ?

YD.

PeteyD

Seaman Apprentice

R Socey thats what i picked up today at lowes, Thanks for the input. YD There is a center stringer and ive gone with oak for that. il set up some pictures.

So in the center is the single stringer which is already removed. On the left is a cut into the glass which completely exposed the old wet plywood/stringer, this can be thought of as the hull floor joint i suppose. On the right of the picture i have yet to cut the remaining glass which covered the old floor/plywood. Basically the floor was a piece of plywood laid over the center stringer glassed over. The ply was cut short maybe 3-4 feet from the transom and 2 extensions continued to the transom.

Attachments

• IMG_1297 (640x478).jpg
    IMG_1297 (640x478).jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1298 (478x640).jpg
    IMG_1298 (478x640).jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 0